Outer Hebrides

Derbyshirehills

We are intending having a two/three week trip through the Outer Hebrides next year and would welcome any words of wisdom on such topics as ferries, places to go, campsites, wild camping, any dog restrictions etc etc.
Thanks in advance
Derbyshire Hills

I would recommend you take Oban to Barra ferry crossing, which for us made a great start to our tour, CalMac allow dogs on their ferries within dog friendly areas inside, no issues outside. Once on Barra, drop to Vatersay for the night, then start a leisurely drive north. Returned to mainland from Stornoway to Ullapool. Where to stop, anywhere. The Hebs are a magical part of our country.

I would recommend you take Oban to Barra ferry crossing, which for us made a great start to our tour, CalMac allow dogs on their ferries within dog friendly areas inside, no issues outside. Once on Barra, drop to Vatersay for the night, then start a leisurely drive north. Returned to mainland from Stornoway to Ullapool. Where to stop, anywhere. The Hebs are a magical part of our country.
Thanks for your help

The Oban to Barra ferry is great (if you and your entourage are good travellers - it can be flat calm but as you're going out to sea it can also get a bit lumpy) but the shortest ferry is from Uig here in Skye. Keep an eye on the ferry updates as it's not unknown for them to break down so the timetables are changeable. CalMac website is generally kept well up-to-date.
Smidge is what we all use against the ferocious Wee Hielan' Midgie - not Avon SkinSoSoft, not Jungle Formula! We all carry midge head-nets in the hope of never having to use them. Motorhome fly-screens won't keep them out.
The motorhome/ campervan page on Visit Outer Hebrides website mentioned above is invaluable.

Hi, there is a myth around that the islanders do not want motorhomers. I was visiting Scalpay and my friend (a born and bred islander). He said that provided there was no rubbish and waste was disposed of properly etc, then we are very welcome. He did say that there are one or two individuals that get very stirred up but that they are incomers to the islands themselves! The booklet issued by the previously mentioned website suggests NOT wildcamping on the Machair and does list some delightful campsites. Most ferry ports and harbours allow overnight parking. Last tip is ...pull in for locals in passing places on single track roads. Enjoy

there is a myth around that the islanders do not want motorhomers.
I'm sure it isn't all islanders but there were some really toxic comments about M/Homers (made on various platforms) by people from Barra a couple of years ago.

If you are using anti-midge stuff make sure it hasn’t got deet in it if you are wearing your best gore-tex jacket. It melts the membrane. Sorry if I’m teaching granny to suck eggs.

I'm sure it isn't all islanders but there were some really toxic comments about M/Homers (made on various platforms) by people from Barra a couple of years ago.
Would that be people who live in Barra or people who are actually "from" Barra. My relatives in the OH are fairly disparaging about the views of many people who have moved there and then want everyone to confirm to their ideas of how things should be. Not all incommers are anti progress but too many are.

Would that be people who live in Barra or people who are actually "from" Barra. My relatives in the OH are fairly disparaging about the views of many people who have moved there and then want everyone to confirm to their ideas of how things should be. Not all incommers are anti progress but too many are.
We got them in Cornwall as well Come here saying How lovely it is Then right away they try to change it to like where they Came from

Top site for us was Balranald on North Uist. It was pretty new when we last stayed, with lovely people, excellent facilities (for us), short walk to the lochside (beware the aggressive terns) and a snack shack which did an excellent sandwich. Pretty sure it's expanded since then & there could well be a small shop there as well now. We use the Calmac Island Hopping ticket & went north to south. Going south to north is on the wishlist! Magical trip - enjoy!

Top site for us was Balranald on North Uist. It was pretty new when we last stayed, with lovely people, excellent facilities (for us), short walk to the lochside (beware the aggressive terns) and a snack shack which did an excellent sandwich. Pretty sure it's expanded since then & there could well be a small shop there as well now. We use the Calmac Island Hopping ticket & went north to south. Going south to north is on the wishlist! Magical trip - enjoy!
Thanks, useful advice

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back