What did you do to your van today?

You are in a lovely area, with the smell of the sea everywhere.

Morbihan is one of our favourites areas (especially Locmariaquer) and over the years I've walked Yvonne's feet off looking at all the monuments and megaliths.

Oh, and yes, shared a bevvy or three.
All things being equal we are off there tomorrow. We are currently on a campsite, something we haven't done for years (since we were tuggers !!) at a spot just below Vannes called Flower Camping at Conleau, a wonderful site with just about everything you would want and still much cheaper than a similar CCC one in the UK, and, yes you can smell the sea and a little wander takes you there.
Thanks Smiffy for the suggestion
Peter

And not much dearer than the Aire at the gate. Great cycle path into Vannes, and a lesser used walk/cycle route into town nearby. Turn right out of camp and the path is on the right close to the inlet a few hundred metres (if memory serves). Also decent small supermarket U express on Rue Jean Francois du Surville, 2 minutes by car or 13 on foot.
Enjoy your trip. Vannes is one of my favourites.

Davy

If it isn't 2-pack expoxy and poly, no paint is "real" paint for our Trev :D
Years ago I had a BIG garage to play in, about 800sq.ft. I took to spraying cars, and campervans. A new 'can't scratch it' paint came available and I used it a couple of times. It was brilliant, gave a mirror gloss finish you could run a coin along without hurting it. The tin had a skull and crossbones on it and a big chemical word I couldn't even say, let alone pronounce.
I had a friend who was a pharmacist and showed him the tin. He asked if I had heard of a chap called Hitler. Yes. What did he use on the Jews? Cyanide. READ THE WORD he said. I slowly pronounced each syllable. I SO CY AN ATE. Precisely, he said. It contains Cyanide. When you see a car worth dying for, paint it with that stuff. You can lick it when it's dry, and if you ate some it would only give you a bad tummy. But breathe the spray in and you are in deep doo doo.
I didn't do any more cars with it, and soon after it was banned anyway.

Today I fitted 4 new tyres to Polly's shiny wheels:

Years ago I had a BIG garage to play in, about 800sq.ft. I took to spraying cars, and campervans. A new 'can't scratch it' paint came available and I used it a couple of times. It was brilliant, gave a mirror gloss finish you could run a coin along without hurting it. The tin had a skull and crossbones on it and a big chemical word I couldn't even say, let alone pronounce.
I had a friend who was a pharmacist and showed him the tin. He asked if I had heard of a chap called Hitler. Yes. What did he use on the Jews? Cyanide. READ THE WORD he said. I slowly pronounced each syllable. I SO CY AN ATE. Precisely, he said. It contains Cyanide. When you see a car worth dying for, paint it with that stuff. You can lick it when it's dry, and if you ate some it would only give you a bad tummy. But breathe the spray in and you are in deep doo doo.
I didn't do any more cars with it, and soon after it was banned anyway.
Nope, you can still buy it and use it if you are an approved business.
But yes, you MUST have the right protection. A regular face mask is not enough, you need an air-fed respirator mask to give a positive pressure.
I always avoided it even though I had the air-fed mask.

Edit: I should point out that it was not actually the paint that was ISO, but the lacquer.
The ISO lacquer was preferred for sure for the hardness and finish and you see a lot of SMART Repairs companies like Chipsaway use it - and often without air-fed masks, the excuse being they are spraying outside so it is dissipated immediately and not a risk.
I stuck with non-ISO lacquer (and if possible, would use a UV-Cured lacquer where you put the item you are painting into a special oven - that UV lacquer gave a great finish and was super durable)

Last edited:
Yes but will be a better job and look right/last.
I remember being taught the principles of Total Quality Management nearly 40 years ago, and Skoda was used as the example of the Rule ...

'Quality is conformance to requirements'

So, if you need a car to travel to yur zero hours contract job in the middle of nowhere and have only £500 to spend, a 20 year old vehicle with inks and dents, rusty wheels, an MOT, and every body panel a different colour, courtesy of the scrappie visits, will represent quality, because the requirement is for a functioning vehicle, and the aesthetics are not a requirement

Steve

Back