70. C1. Medical

Carrotts

Hi all. Well 2 weeks before Christmas had the letter from dvla. Saying they had looked at my c2/c4 medical forms etc and wished me to attend a treadmill ecg at hospital. This was arranged. Yippee I did the 12 minutes told ok you've passed come back Monday see the consultant. Monday consultant says not happy too many irregularities in ecg. See your own doctor soon. So saw doc few samples blood. Ecg. Posted off for checking. ,,,,,Monday 6th Jan phone call from hospital for appointment ecg etc Thursday 0945. Tues morn letter from dvla. C1 cancelled with effect of tues morn. ( don't forget just got our ideal mhome 4.25 lunar) so needless to say not happy. Went for appointment Thursday. As arranged. Ecg etc !,,,they said not happy with results Want you to go to hospital for angio/. Stent or bypass take hospital stay bag when you go. So at moment waiting to hear from margate. What I would like to know. Anyone out there that has had c1 cancelled and reaplied and had it returned after op or further tests or,,,,,,,,,brian

Bummer but thank goodness! Gotta look on the bright side that if you’d not bought this van, you’d not have gone through the DVLA hoops and not known about your heart.
Sorry, no idea about reapplying. Be interested to know.

Sympathies from this end, hope all works out well for you.
Just about to start the process, so full of trepidation now!
Let us know how you get on.
The application form is slightly ambiguous, not sure if you have to send form D46P with the D2 and D4 or not.

Good luck with the hospital visit. After treatment I see no reason in time why you should not obtain the C1 again. I had a valid class 1 CAA medical when I had a heart attack, so problems are not always spotted at medicals. I know of people who have been treated for heart conditions and in time had their medical reinstated.
The treatment itself may put you out of action for some time, but spotting that there is a problem may have saved you from much trouble, and long term may see you fully fit after treatment.

Yes, already had stents 10 years ago so thought I was alright on treadmill ecg as I did the specified 12 minutes ..

Important thing is to get you sorted, then worry about your licence.
See the Silver Lining (problem was spotted) not the cloud (might need to downsize).

Best wishes and Fingers crossed for you. .🤞
👍👍👍 to all the above.
I’ve had all sorts done to my ticker, quad bypass, piggy valve and pacemaker. Gave up my C+E license voluntarily in November last year, wanted to retire. Still got C1 for two more years, although it’s unlikely I’ll ever use it, Demi being plated at 3300kg.
Wish you luck with any operations you go through. And then, like me, you’re sorted for another fifty years or so.
Not sure if it’s called restoration or refit. Whatever, it seems to work. Think I need to talk to someone about a new right knee 😷

👍👍👍 to all the above.
I’ve had all sorts done to my ticker, quad bypass, piggy valve and pacemaker. Gave up my C+E license voluntarily in November last year, wanted to retire. Still got C1 for two more years, although it’s unlikely I’ll ever use it, Demi being plated at 3300kg.
Wish you luck with any operations you go through. And then, like me, you’re sorted for another fifty years or so.
Not sure if it’s called restoration or refit. Whatever, it seems to work. Think I need to talk to someone about a new right knee 😷
restoration or refit? more like renovation :)

All the best with your tests and any procedures, Brian. fingers crossed for reinstatement of the C1.

as an aside, any scope in available payload for getting your lunar downplated to 3500kg as a temporary measure and then upplated again once you have your C1 back? that is a paperwork excercise and shouldn't cost anything (you don't need to pay SV Tech anything for example) other then more roadtax for the lighter rated vehicle.
maybe a way to keep on the road albeit in a more restricted way?

Renovation man! That’s me then. I wonder if they can overhaul my brain?👐

Bit of a shame that. :(

The dashcam footage when you had a heart attack at the wheel could have gone viral. ;)

Send a nice Thankyou card and flowers to the DVLA. :giggle:

Do not understand dash cam footage remark. Have known for 9 years re heart. Drs have said wait Wait. Dvla stepped in at my age 70 Ok to drive 69 years 364 days old but not at 70 years 1 day. Ok to drive a 3.5. But not a 3.6. Surely a 3 ton veh will do as much damage as a 4 ton. Or a 25 year old driving suffer a heart attack as a 72 year old. ( my nephew died heart attack 24 years old ). Makes me wonder how legal some of these Luton transits are ( over 3.5 driven on normal car licence. As for sending them a bunch of flowers with a thank you note. I will treat that comment with the contemp I think it deserves.

Hey. Wildebus. David I am looking at the weights etc. I believe it's a 3.5. With 750 loading. Making it a 4.250. ,!!!! But even then. Yes I could drive it if 3.5 and under. But doesn't that then make dvla decision ridiculous Dvla say I can drive a 3.5. But not a 3.6. As stated in other threads I think dvla should up mhome weights etc. And. Lol. As for the lairds thread. What are you doing this weekend. Looking out window at my big white best ever baby. Wiping the tears from my eyes cause I can't drive it ,,,, the laird I hope has got a good sense of humour. I hope. Brian

Silly isn’t it. Not allowed a motorhome over 3500kg but could pull a car/caravan combination well over this. A <3500kg motorhome with trailer is also ok. I am waiting for a manufacturer to come up with a special trailer and umbilical with all the water, batteries, gas and heavy kit following behind. Perhaps I should design and patent it.

Do not understand dash cam footage remark. Have known for 9 years re heart. Drs have said wait Wait. Dvla stepped in at my age 70 Ok to drive 69 years 364 days old but not at 70 years 1 day. Ok to drive a 3.5. But not a 3.6. Surely a 3 ton veh will do as much damage as a 4 ton. Or a 25 year old driving suffer a heart attack as a 72 year old. ( my nephew died heart attack 24 years old ). Makes me wonder how legal some of these Luton transits are ( over 3.5 driven on normal car licence. As for sending them a bunch of flowers with a thank you note. I will treat that comment with the contemp I think it deserves.
My understanding of the DVLA’s 70 year old cut off, is while up to 3.5t is considered a car license, okay a bl%dy big car. Over 3.5, therefore up to 7.5t is occupational.
Tbh. A cut off at 3.5t is preferable to a total driving ban for anyone with a cardiac problem.
Don’t shoot me. Just thinking out loud. Also I’m in a similar position to you.

Hi. Trotter yes I know what you say. But under grandfathers rights those that passed before 1997 can drive up to 7.5. Ok then leave it at that that could mean you will have to be over 40 ish to drive c1. Unless you have taken post c1 test. So it won't be to many years that grandfathers rights are about. And as stated in other post surely car /big caravan would be more dangerous in a accident,,,,,,, the way I have seen some tuggers snaking and I was in my early years a tugger Re your other thread re coffee meals Can't make that dinner invite. I have a. Errr. Ummm. Oh yes hospital appointment. Sorry I digress. Ooh that's another thread. Brian .

Hi. Trotter yes I know what you say. But under grandfathers rights those that passed before 1997 can drive up to 7.5. Ok then leave it at that that could mean you will have to be over 40 ish to drive c1. Unless you have taken post c1 test. So it won't be to many years that grandfathers rights are about. And as stated in other post surely car /big caravan would be more dangerous in a accident,,,,,,, the way I have seen some tuggers snaking and I was in my early years a tugger Re your other thread re coffee meals Can't make that dinner invite. I have a. Errr. Ummm. Oh yes hospital appointment. Sorry I digress. Ooh that's another thread. Brian .
Hope any ticker problems get sorted for you. It’s not a lot of fun, is it.
Is a down plating a option for you? That maybe the way to go, if only for a while. If nowt else, it’ll keep you mobile.
If all else fails , maybe a meal at chez Trotter could be the answer to all of your problems. 🤪🤮 Well terminal.

Lost my c1 same problem age 77 but I can drive an agricultural or forestry tractor 20 odd ton I kid you not

Last edited:

It was meant as a joke (remember them).

If you have had heart problems for 9 years, why are you getting so upset? DVLA have the power to take your Licence away completely if they think your health is bad, all they have done is ask for a further medical check ... and it sounds like they were spot on with their duty to keep everyone safe on the roads.

Now jog on and take your contempt with you.

I do hope that you can get your licence back.
However with your medical history it might have been sensible to sort the licence before buying a heavy van.
Downrating may be a possibility but I rather doubt that there will be much if any payload for a 4.25T van running at 3.5T.
I speak from some experience having bought a 3.85T van down plated to 3.5T which was 3.6T empty!
I've upgraded the suspension front and rear and now have 4.15T gross.

It was meant as a joke (remember them).

Now jog on and take your contempt with you.

I’ve fallen foul of trying to add a bit of humour into a thread as well, in the past. It’s easily done. Type away with a smile your end. It’s read as a criticism. That’s what the emojis are for. Safest bet is to bang one on. 🤯 Like that, init,🤬

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back