absolute top tip

mr brown

been thinking about the best tip of all for self builders. i love tips , they can save you time , money and anguish ! having fitted out many vans , and houses of course, i've dealt with every trade, except plastering-i just can't do it .
so - woodwork , metalwork , plumbing , wiring, etc etc , what's needed in every case ?
NOT a crappy , bendy , rubbish tape measure !
one of these- don't be tight , this is a vital, basic bit of kit ,get 2 ,you'll be glad you did https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stanley-...433878&hash=item3fb9b7d940:g:FZYAAOSwKqNcYvE2
, and when you're on a step ladder spooling out your tape to measure the length of your van and your rubbish tape collapses after being out only 5 feet - think about it !

i've got 3

Does it come with instructions for younger users Nigel, they don’t know what Imperial is lol look at me gone out when I use feet and inches :)

I have had fat max stuff and it's really good, but for tape measures I moved to these:

Same strong blade, but numbered on both sides and has a magnetic end. Usually a good bit cheaper too.

8m length also available

hi St3v3- just checked one of my tapes , it had a standout of 3m66, what's yours ?

Not sure how you've measured it, but with the body in my right hand, and the tape supported in my left, it was out to 3.5m unwound from the body.

Not sure how you've measured it, but with the body in my right hand, and the tape supported in my left, it was out to 3.5m unwound from the body.
See Steve it doesn't quite measure up to a Fatmax.
As you know length is everything.
?????

not bad -and a lot cheaper. i did it just sticking out of the tape body with no support

Or just go to Ikea and get cardboard glass carriers - don’t need to cut handle off as fit exactly !

Reactions: Rec
Even though I'm right handed, I usually hold the tape in my left hand & pencil in my right hand, so a tape that can be read from any way you want is a jolly good idea!!:)

Phill

As a diy guy that works in an office my top tip that I’ve found useful is the quality of drill you have.
When I started my build I had a couple of cheap drills that were oversized and underpowered with poor battery charge.

I picked up a dewalt drill and impact driver set.
I can now work for much longer and the speed of work has definitely increased too.

For the awkward spots to work in the van the shorter impact driver is a lifesaver!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back