Another Security Question .... Ladders....

wildebus

Another Security Question .... Ladders....

I have a ladder on my rear door so I can access my rooftop storage...

IMG_20171014_145922 by David, on Flickr

I think it would be a good idea to be able to secure the ladder to prevent anyone climbing it - either to nick stuff or just from mischievous.

The ladder is a fixed Rhino Racks model, bolted permanently to the door. I am thinking some kind of plate sheet hooked over a high rung and extending down, padlocked down would do the job (a bit like the perspex sheets IKEA put on their children's bedroom displays).
I know some people have rear ladders that have a lower section that hinge up for security, but what have people with fixed ladders like mine done for security?

​​​​​​

Paint the ladder in the same black/white stripes as the van and no one but you will know its there. :smile:

Pete

It's the causal opportunists I want to deter. And it would suspicious if the ladder was secured and someone tried to climb up regardless.
I think the plate does sound like the best option

You could use aluminium checker plate or aluminium tread plate, these would serve the same purpose but would be a bit lighter, and if in two sections could be used for recovery if you get stuck.

Runnach done a great security measure for his rear ladder ,maybe post A photo if you ask him.

Spray the back with lion pee,it will deter thieves and stop wild zebras attempting to mate with your van.(their hooves cause terrible damage)

Make one of these from cardboard and waterproof then tape to ladder rack .

Attachments

• dynomite.jpeg
    dynomite.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 1
+ one for aluminium checker plate.

Or perhaps cut off the bottom six rungs?

Colin ???

For a Fiamma product, their plate is priced ok (still expensive) and the lock is like step indeed.

runnach;n9243 said:
Here is link to my ladder cover. I would have liked cover to be longer, but that was all material I had left when I made new gates for house. If I get my hands on longer material, I'll knock out another.

Looking at pic of your van, the other vulnerable area at rear, is you spare tyre, a nice fitting alloy cover would be simple to make.

ref the spare, I might use a padlock to secure it but not overly concerned on that.
​​​​​​A ladder on the other hand is an invitation to climb up! Your cover looks super-robust but isn't storing it when off the ladder awkward with those side extensions on it?

​​​​​​​
saxonborg;n9215 said:
You could use aluminium checker plate or aluminium tread plate, these would serve the same purpose but would be a bit lighter, and if in two sections could be used for recovery if you get stuck.
I do like the idea of a dual-section cover that doubles up as a pair of recovery ladders (but ones without finger sized holes). I think I will try that idea :)

Not sure if you would have your fingers intact if you tried to climb up this sand ladder?

maxtrax.jpg

This was the one I bought when I had a ladder on my first MH...

https://www.ledbulbs4u.co.uk/product/604/

No knob to put your foot on
eek3.gif

I tried to climb up it in order to test it, but couldn't manage it. I'd recommend it.

Graham
yes.gif

Guess it is down to how protective you want to be? For me, it is a matter of stopping the "ooo ooo a ladder. Let's climb it for a laugh" type. If I was really paranoid about it I would not have fitted a ladder in the first place.

wildebus;n9609 said:
Guess it is down to how protective you want to be? For me, it is a matter of stopping the "ooo ooo a ladder. Let's climb it for a laugh" type. If I was really paranoid about it I would not have fitted a ladder in the first place.

That sums it up for me. Is my ladder harder to climb up than the one on the MH next to me?

Graham
yes.gif

Phillybarbour;n19560 said:
Not sure it’s that easy to see on the van, put some white paint in it and it will be invisible.

good plan :)

I have fitted a wheel cover as well. primarily for keeping the wheel cleaner but it goes remove a potential setup after I cover the ladder rungs up (not done anything with that yet, but would like something in place by the spring)

an open ladder is very tempting to the showoff lad- not looking to nick anything , just having a crack . on mine i cut a bit of 9mm birch ply painted white the right width, 2 ally coathooks on the inside hooked on the top rung, and a hole at the bottom to fit a short chain and padlock to the bottom rung

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back