another tip

It's called scribing. It's what joiners should do when fitting skirting boards to a solid wood floor, for example - but don't. Or at least didn't in ours because it takes time, skill and attention to detail.

Too easy Nigel.

FWIW, I was taught to use odd-leg calipers or a pair of compasses set to the gap where it's at its widest. That way, you get a full fit with minimum loss of material. As @Ardachaidh noted, it's called 'scribing' if you're a joiner or 'spiling' if you're a shipwright.

When scribing to my van walls, I cut a small piece of wood to the size of the widest part of the gap and taped a pencil to it, worked fine.

For the really awkward bit at the top double-sided tape and cardboard til it was perfick.

083%2054c%20Just%20add%20bits%20til%20its%20a%20snug%20fit%2C%20then%20transfer%20to%20the%20lightweight%20ply.jpg

An old but good idea.
In the seventies, we used to go around the junctions of the walls with a 45rpm record with a pencil in the hole to give us borders that we could paint in contrasting colours to the walls.

Hello Bear :D :D which record was it?

It's called scribing. It's what joiners should do when fitting skirting boards to a solid wood floor, for example - but don't. Or at least didn't in ours because it takes time, skill and attention to detail.
Weren’t joiners then….

Whats the difference between a joiner, a carpenter and a cabinet maker.

A cabinet maker works to a hundredth of an inch.

A carpenter works to a tenth of an inch.

A joiner works to the nearest house.

Short brothers airplane factory was next to the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. A guy who worked on the assembly line of the aircraft was boasting to his mate. “When we build an airplane, we work to one thou accuracy”.
His mate who was a welder in the shipyard just laughed, “when we build a ship, everything has to be dead on”.

Davy

Short brothers airplane factory was next to the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. A guy who worked on the assembly line of the aircraft was boasting to his mate. “When we build an airplane, we work to one thou accuracy”.
His mate who was a welder in the shipyard just laughed, “when we build a ship, everything has to be dead on”.

Davy
loved working in the yard.boat b.jpg

Weren’t joiners then….
Quite. We ordered lengths of kick board for the kitchen units they were fitting in the new build. A long bit for the long stretch in front of the window, 2 shorter bits for other units - just needing trimming to size. What did he do? He cut the long bit to fit in one of the shorter sections and joined a short length to the remains of the long length he'd cut for the units in front of the window. Unbelievable!!

Whats the difference between a joiner, a carpenter and a cabinet maker.

A cabinet maker works to a hundredth of an inch.

A carpenter works to a tenth of an inch.

A joiner works to the nearest house.
An engineer was talking to a tarmac layer. The engineer said "in my job I have to work to tolerances of thousandths of an inch"
Paddy says " you'd be no good on my gang, when we lay tarmac, we've got to be spot on!".....🐻😉

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back