Awning

If you mean a cassette awning I've had both in the past, no problem with either but I didn't fit them myself, I now have a Dometic awning which again is easy to operate AND it comes standard with a centre pole tensioner which will take the strain in high winds before the awning folds in on itself, I have seen awnings flip over the roof when not nailed down sufficiently so whichever you choose buy tensioners.

This Fiamma kit is very worth while getting... https://www.fiammastore.com/Tie-Down-Kits-and-Pegs/Fiamma-Tie-Down-Kit-S
The use of the heavy duty springs allows movement withut having loose straps flapping or the awning unable to move. I would think other brands have a similar kit? if not, the Fiamma one could be pretty easily adapted.

When choosing between awning makes, I would suggest also looking to see if there are sides and fronts to enclose it to make an extra outside room when working out a potential total cost and feature list. That can be a useful feature (I have a Rollout Fiamma Awning (Caravanstore) and I find the Fiamma Safari/Privacy Room very handy and it is designed to work directly with the Awning).

We have an Awning for our van, I hate them , ties the van down so can't move it, just as well have a caravan IMOP, But her who must be obeyed loves it so what can a man ? do.We also have the wind blocker things that form a large sheltered area on the side of the van don't like that either hee , only saving grace for our awning is that it folds away to a small bag and fits easily under a seat, long may it remain there ,hee hee.

SDC10001.JPGSDC10002.JPGSDC10004.JPGSDC10005.JPG

We have a Fiamma F45 wind out which I fitted my self (real easy if you can drill holes) but seldom use it - sometimes at the motocross if the weather is bad. As above the storm strap with spring needed if windy + a centre pole. We used to have a safari room , but just such a nuisance to erect it's been sold. However, a good thing to have are the 'clip system' end bars which stops the material flapping about and as I've seen tearing it away from the roller. Besides that I glued on an awning rail immediately below the Fiamma and we use a Kampa Rally Air Pro which takes around 10 minutes to put up/take down. We recently bought their 'conservatory' extension which zips in to the end and makes it a huge space but very hot in the sun. If we didn't double up the mh for motocross I wouldn't have the wind out - not that effective/much use and rather heavy. Bob

This Fiamma kit is very worth while getting... https://www.fiammastore.com/Tie-Down-Kits-and-Pegs/Fiamma-Tie-Down-Kit-S
The use of the heavy duty springs allows movement withut having loose straps flapping or the awning unable to move. I would think other brands have a similar kit? if not, the Fiamma one could be pretty easily adapted.

When choosing between awning makes, I would suggest also looking to see if there are sides and fronts to enclose it to make an extra outside room when working out a potential total cost and feature list. That can be a useful feature (I have a Rollout Fiamma Awning (Caravanstore) and I find the Fiamma Safari/Privacy Room very handy and it is designed to work directly with the Awning).

I have an unused Fiamma tie kit in the garage somewhere. i can dig it out if someone wants it.
the reason it’s unused is because I rarely used the awning that I paid a fortune for. As I recall they are a sun canopy and they recommend they are put away if it rains.

Don't undersell it! The canopy is totally waterproof - don't know why Fiamma says otherwise. After all the safari room that can be used in conjunction with it is also totally waterproof. And they do a waterproof strip to fit between casing and wall to stop the water running down side of your van. I prefer the Fiamma over other makes as they have so many extras you can add on as you find you need/would like them.

Don't undersell it! The canopy is totally waterproof - don't know why Fiamma says otherwise. After all the safari room that can be used in conjunction with it is also totally waterproof. And they do a waterproof strip to fit between casing and wall to stop the water running down side of your van. I prefer the Fiamma over other makes as they have so many extras you can add on as you find you need/would like them.
I have used the Fiamma awnings in heavy rain. the Safari Room I have came with the "Fast Clip" side bars that you mentioned in an earlier post. Using those side bars stops all any flapping of the awning in wind.
The only thing that confuses me with the Fiamma kit are the curtains. Why do they only seem to sell them in sets of 6 when it is unlikely you can use 6? I have the 4M Safari Room and there is only one rail and that only takes 2 curtains. Weird.

Having had both Thule and Fiamma wind out canopies I can't see that there is much between them tbh...

With the Fiamma we had the safari room...which I sold as it was too big and bulky to carry around. We have a set of lilypad screens which we have used successfully on both. With the current Thule canopy we now have a Kampa blow up awning.

With both I have/had storm tie down straps and a centre rafter...all of which I would thoroughly recommend if you are putting the canopy out in changeable weather.

...and also make sure that one end is lower than the other if you are expecting rain!

Graham
smile.gif

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back