Battery maintenance

andromeda

Currently my van is in storage and because I am unable to drive because of ill health I'm concerned about it going flat. Normally I go down and check it out or take it for a run when not using it regularly. There are solar panels which serve both engine and hab batteries. Engine battery is less than 6 months old. My question is shoukd I panic and see if I have someone to test it or will it be ok for another couple of weeks? It was last used around the 19th December.
Thanks for reading.

Should be ok if getting some sun, make sure there is nothing draining the batteries that may be sucking out more than the panels are putting in, how many batteries and what size, then how many watts of panels do you have, rule of thumb is 100w panel for every 100ah battery.
So if you have one les battery and one starter 200w solar in 4/6 hrs should do the trick, im getting away with 2 90ah van batts and one 90ah starter on 200w of panel as the days are getting longer now.

As an aside: did you park it with the handbrake on? Is there a chance that that might seize if left too long?

Also would it be worth moving it so as not to flat spot the tyres (or perhaps over inflating them if if can't be moved)?

We leave ours all the time on the drive with no hook up just the small 100watt? solar panel keeping everything topped up. When I check batteries are at 100% ... that's motor battery and two 110 Amp leisure batteries. Handbrake is always left off (when I remember!)

Jeremy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back