Battery Temp change under charge

wildebus

There have been a few posts about battery temps and do they need insulating against cold, and if you do, will they overheat when in use?

Well, I needed to put a good charge into my batteries today as they went below 40% SoC and thought I would share the temp change as I put in around 320Ah back into the battery bank in just over 4 hours

My Batteries are enclosed in a plywood box, with ply on the bottom, all 4 sides and with a plywood top. The top has some ventilation holes and the front few inches are open, mainly to allow simple cabling.
(photo below shows box before top fitted)

Battery Box
by David, on Flickr

So Graphs below show as the SoC increases from 40% to 67% in about 2 hours, there was a pretty consistent average 100A going into the batteries. In that time, the battery started off at 7C and two hours later, it reached 14C (so increased 7 Celcius).
I turned the Charger off two hours later, by which time the SoC had reached 83% and 320Ah had gone into the battery. By this time, the battery had reached a peak of 18C. As the charge current started to reduce, the battery temperature increase slowed down (going up 4C in the last two hours compared to 7C in the first two hours).

Here are the graphs...
1578616507129.png

Not got any real conclusions from the above, but you don't see a really big increase in temperature and I would say it is not something to be concerned about :)

Thanks, all adding to the benefits of using lithium,
At 18c Jessie our jack russel would be sitting on top of them she migrated to anything warm 😄

What happened with outside temp during that time Dave, yesterday morning it was 14C here

What happened with outside temp during that time Dave, yesterday morning it was 14C here
Not round here it wasn't (it was snowing a few miles away)

Graph below shows the exterior temp for the day with the time range in question noted. Variation was a whopping 1.3C at the most.

1578681139745.png

I see folks with incorrect storage of lead acid batterys in wooden boxes,they should be in plastic so if split etc the acid will be contained.

I see folks with incorrect storage of lead acid batterys in wooden boxes,they should be in plastic so if split etc the acid will be contained.
you'd be hard pushed to find the typical motorhome with a battery within any kind of box, be it plastic or wood.

I have sometimes wondered about the safety of boxes full of strong acid being kept under the driver and passenger seats.

Good point Trev but even motorhome manufacturers don’t put them in plastic boxes if my Burstner is anything to go bye.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back