Battery Trickle Charge advice.

Irish Rover

Free Member

Hello i am not great on forums cant seem to find what i am looking for or how to start a conversation.
My query is advice on a trickle charger can anybody advise. My Fiat Ducato Hobby optima premium (2019) is parked outside the house we dont use it at all or very very seldom in the winter. I plug her into the mains every 8 to 10 days and charge the leisure and the vehicle battery. Both charge fully after approx 1 to 2 days.
There is a leisure battery isolator switch but i never turn it off.
I am wondering would i be better off with a trickle charger if so what kind etc etc any help on this would be greatly received.
I recently had to get my Airbag E.C.U. re programmed successfully thank god i didnt have to buy a new one.
Somebody mentioned as a result of a drop in battery power probably caused the fault in the unit.
Hence my enquiry regarding trickle charger
Any advice please

Smart charger is best, you will also require a link wire and switch to les bats to starter bat to keep them all up, lots cheap on ebay.smart ch.jpgnewmax.jpgmantanence chrager.jpg

I have used Clives method on a couple of vans quite elegant in its simplicity.

Does the original poster not have a solar panel, even my cheapo 85w one maintains the leisure battery at over 13v even at this time of year, it's supposed to do the starter battery too but just not enough sun in winter, so I have a Ctek MSX5

@Irish Rover
In that case you ought to get the parasitic load of your chassis and auxiliary batteries checked, both batteries should be easily kept at float via solar even during the winter with all the consumers switched off imho.

@Irish Rover
In that case you ought to get the parasitic load of your chassis and auxiliary batteries checked, both batteries should be easily kept at float via solar even during the winter with all the consumers switched off imho.
That's a big statement, he's not even said if he has Solar or not, I do and the MPPT is supposed to keep both charged but it will only do the LB in winter, not much better in summer although it does put a little into the VB, and I wouldn't know how to switch it all off even if I wanted to, even the Hab control takes a little bit when turned off.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back