Body work help

Bu99er innit ?
You've made a donation to someone less well off than yourself. Feel good about that. Pity it was involuntary.
Fit a Fiamma D Ring onto the door. Makes the van look more secure and might deter an opportunist.

Last edited:
When we hit a deer last January and claimed it didn't increase the insurance price at renewal so you might be as well to go with the insurance claim for peace of mind.
What makes this damage more annoying for me is that they could have just put a screwdriver in the lock and it would have opened, this was obviously an amatuer opportunist.
I have the same year Hymer and 17 years ago we pulled in to a supermarket in Spain, we walked in to the shop and I realised that I had left the bags in the van so I went back to get them, only gone two minutes but it was long enough for them to force the lock but they did not realise we had dogs in there, a second hand lock cost me £5 (Fiat Punt is the same lock) so the damage was minimal, the front door was opened the same way a few years later also in Spain on the services, they didn't even make a noise it was only me telling the dogs to be quiet that deterred them.
I have fitted extra locks now even though I know it will not stop the determined thief but I work on the principal that if my van is harder to break into than the next one it might help, I also never forget to put the alarm on even when we go to sleep.

Bu99er innit ?
You've made a donation to someone less well off than yourself. Feel good about that. Pity it was involuntary.
Fit a Fiamma D Ring onto the door. Makes the van look more secure and might deter an opportunist.
Those are a big advert saying "unoccupied van worth breaking point nto". They're the worst thing you can do.

Those are a big advert saying "unoccupied van worth breaking point nto". They're the worst thing you can do.
Everybody to their own.
Yes they do advertise that the van may be empty.......or that you use the passenger door to go out, but as Tezza says, anything to make it harder and take longer to get into.I have a brightlock fitted to the Hab door, and deadlocks fitted to the cab doors.

Everybody to their own.
Yes they do advertise that the van may be empty.......or that you use the passenger door to go out, but as Tezza says, anything to make it harder and take longer to get into.I have a brightlock fitted to the Hab door, and deadlocks fitted to the cab doors.
In the example here, they bent the door panel to get in.
They also advertise when it isn't locked. I'd not have them.

Last edited:
D rings.
We had 3 vans over nearly 20 years
They are also useful for hand wringing out things like wet towels and other large laundry.
We were only broken in once.. at Leigh, Lancashire.
Professional job, cab window popped. Very little mess..
Someone had noticed that Jenny hadn't brought her handbag with her, when we stopped for a walk and ice cream in a park, en route to collect. a new van. Our minds we're on other things. The D ring wasn't in use.
£200 taken from 3 cards , in a nearby shopping centre, before we got back.

I suppose if you didn't have one they would have to knock on the door to see if it is unoccupied and so wouldn't bother 😏😏😏
I was broken into twice within a few years until I fitted the extra locks then not one attempt for the next 15 years and you think it is the worst thing you can do, using your logic why not just leave the door open at least there would be no damage.
They will break in any way if they are determined, they probably know it is unoccupied because they watched you park it, if the doors look difficult they can force a window which causes a lot less damage (IMHO), if we worry too much then we might as well sell the van and stay at home but sometimes it just isn't your day.
A few years ago in France we were shopping and Maggy noticed someone who was on his phone and seemed to be behind us too often, she told me so I went out to the car park and as I approached the van a car sped off from the other side of it, I have a Brightlock fitted on the drivers door and some paint was missing off it so I think they were trying to remove it while a lookout was watching us, unfortunately we will never win with desperate people😩😩😩

I think I will put some extra locks on the doors. Yes it would be a lot easier and cheaper to replace a window. It is unbelievable the amount of damage done to the door. The photo really does not do it justice. Then there are all the problems of cancelling cards and contracts on things like mobile broadband. They took a bag that I kept all my electronic leads so the toothbrush chargers, usb toothbrush chargers. Lightening cables. Camera charger and so on. I have some hella plugs and the converter collars were in the bag. The problem is remembering it all. I need to start the list but at the moment I cant seem to summon up the energy to start. I don’t know if this insurance with Comfort is new for old or not. I was asked to say how old everything was so I’m assuming I’ll probably get barely anything back

How did they use your cards was it contactless hits . hope your repairs go well
It was before contactless.
All 3 companies declared that the PIN was not embedded in the cards..
But they paid out, without delay..
If you use a card reader pad that the banks supply.. it can take any card , read it and verify the PIN without any WiFi or on-line connection
They tell big, fat fibs...

I suppose if you didn't have one they would have to knock on the door to see if it is unoccupied and so wouldn't bother 😏😏😏
I was broken into twice within a few years until I fitted the extra locks then not one attempt for the next 15 years and you think it is the worst thing you can do, using your logic why not just leave the door open at least there would be no damage.
They will break in any way if they are determined, they probably know it is unoccupied because they watched you park it, if the doors look difficult they can force a window which causes a lot less damage (IMHO), if we worry too much then we might as well sell the van and stay at home but sometimes it just isn't your day.
A few years ago in France we were shopping and Maggy noticed someone who was on his phone and seemed to be behind us too often, she told me so I went out to the car park and as I approached the van a car sped off from the other side of it, I have a Brightlock fitted on the drivers door and some paint was missing off it so I think they were trying to remove it while a lookout was watching us, unfortunately we will never win with desperate people😩😩😩
I think extra locks on the doors are a very good idea, but they should be subtle and look the same whether locked or unlocked. My ones are ABUS mortice locks which fit against reinforced sections of door and frame.

Manufacturers need to up their game with hab door security. For a home you can have a five locking point front and rear house door. Why can’t new MH have at least three point locking door, middle, top and bottom, it ain’t rocket science, is it!
Yes as in this case the lock held when they tried prising it with a bar of some sort so instead folded the door back enough to get their hand in and release the lock from the inside

Is there a 12v CCTV or Spy Camera system that connects to a smart phone?

Not cameras that stick out on legs, but chamfered ergonomic ones, like reversing cameras.

Has any one else claimed for contents with comfort. The actual insurers are Aviva. How does it work as I think I only have one receipt that I can think of. Even if you keep receipts most of them are so faded after a year they are unreadable

It was before contactless.
All 3 companies declared that the PIN was not embedded in the cards..
But they paid out, without delay..
If you use a card reader pad that the banks supply.. it can take any card , read it and verify the PIN without any WiFi or on-line connection
They tell big, fat fibs...
Sorry to hear this.
Too late for you now, but I've swapped all bank cards, including credit card, for non-contactless. It took a few days to sort out, but are done. I feel safer

Bu99er innit ?

I am sorry, but you sound like you are feeling sorry for the scumbags who caused so much damage and more importantly psychologically hurt a loving caring person who would do nothing to harm anyone!

Personally I would like the stocks brought back into use for criminals like this where I would personally place a carefully directed and hardest of boots right into their nuts!

Yes confidence is going to be the worst part of it all. This is the second break-in but last time we were in it asleep so no damage and what they took was worthless so dumped outside. I’ve just been on to Brownhills and a replacement door will be about £2000 then the fitting so going through the insurance. No it’s not a cat, it’s one of the two dogs which we had taken for a walk when this happened but yes very very lucky they were not in the van at the time as I’m sure they too would have been taken
Wow , £2000 for a door, how can that be justified for such a flimsy item ?

Only just seen this and my heart goes out to you silverweed.Been ten years in my van and broke into twice in last 13 months whilst I was in it so they got nothing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back