Cassette Toilets and Stomas after Bowel Cancer Surgery

PeteS

I have just had Bowel cancer surgery ( 8 weeks ago) and have a temporary Stoma on my tummy, For those who dont know it intercepts your waste and allows the colon to succesfully heal where it has been rejoined up again. Mine is an Ileostomy.
We are away in the motorhome tomorrow for a few days for the first time since the op and I have to empty my stoma reasonably regularly and in the dead of night usually around 3am.
Anybody been in my situation and have tips on how to empty it down a 2" hole into the cassette without having a massive clear up after or is it best to trapse to a toilet block?

I'm all clear of cancer now by the way so I recommend the pooh test you have to do every two years once you get to 60, I had no symptons.

I guess you shouldn’t be lifting too much weight either, so not having to empty the cassette? In which case pack a long waterproof and plod to the toilet block.

Glad to hear you're on the mend.
Is it feasible to have a small waste bin in your van? You could then empty your colostomy into scented biodegradable doggy bags. As the contents may be quite wet either some wood shavings (which can be put in small plastic container) or some cat litter in the bottom of the bag will help absorb the liquid. Then you can dispose off when able. Hope this helps.

A very close friend of mine has one of these bags permanently fitted and although he prefers to use the toilet blocks on site he is able to never the less empty his bag down into the cassette loo............... And this by the way is in the very tight and restrictive confines of a miniscule Eriba Pug toilet area.
And PeteS, I don't know what cassette loo you have but I believe the standard trap entrance diameter is more like 4" rather than 2.

Glad to hear that you have now escaped the clutches of the dreaded 'C'.

Furthermore, if the cassette is emptied on a daily basis, even if it has been used very little it is far easier to do as it is so very light.

I have had a permanent stoma fitted but I use the sealed bags so I can just dispose of them. I have had a colostomy so this may not need changing as often.

The idea of biodegradable doggy bags is good but biodegradable nappy sacs are often bigger. You can get productss from stoma suppliers which turn liquid into thicker gel which is much easier to deal with. Have you spoken to your supplier as they often like a problem to solve! You can often get samples if you ring round different companies too. Vernagel is the name of one product. Alternatively how about a large funnel for the night emptying, at least easy to wash.

Last edited:
First night was fine, easier than I had imagined so all good, thank you for all your replies and suggestions but using the cassette toilet is the easiest.

Hi Pete, had exactly the same 3 years ago. I used to kneel on one knee(had a bit of padding to put under it) it worked fine for me, never stopped me using the van. Glad you have the all clear. I recently had my annual check and am clear for another year. Best of luck, Jim

I have had a permanent stoma fitted but I use the sealed bags so I can just dispose of them. I have had a colostomy so this may not need changing as often.
Been for another colonoscopy today for a checkup. Got to go back in New Year.

I use the same method as MadRssss which works well for me, flush or spray the bowl before emptying your bag as it helps "things" slide.

Have you discovered the new ileostomy / colostomy bags with Manuka honey in the adhesive ? Absolutely brilliant, I've had no leaks or soreness since I started using them 3 months ago.

No I havent, my surgery has settled down now and so I have just started having bags cut from my template, since then I have had no soreness at all and so far no leaks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back