Chat Room

A VERY< VERY< HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EDINAs MUM.........JOLLY WELL DONE whats the secret to a long life.
is she devons oldest living lady........WOW
well are the home which she is living....pushing the boat out to celebrate......press, dignitaries etc........
well done to you and yours in providing such loving care for your mum.....

Not quite sure what you are implying, Trigger.
Sounds a little like a veiled insult directed at two people you know nothing about, or implies that I'm talking nonsense, although I may be misinterpreting you completely, so forgive me if I am.

These two ex-medics are bright. Extremely bright in fact.
Both fit as fiddles and never smoked a fag in their lives.

Ultimately the choice of whether to have a flu jab or not is down to the individual.
I'm not talking about the paranoia surrounding jabs like MMR; this is a different illness and a different jab altogether.
What I'm saying is that just because the 2 medics you know will not have flu jabs does not mean they are right just because they are medically trained, it is their personal choice based on their experience in the medical field maybe ? further as an example I quoted the folks we know who too are medically trained and yet they still choose to smoke against all the perfectly good and proven facts to the contrary, again their choice so my mantra is and has always been BEWARE of experts make ones own personal choices based on the facts available.Simples.

What I'm saying is that just because the 2 medics you know will not have flu jabs does not mean they are right just because they are medically trained, it is their personal choice based on their experience in the medical field maybe ? further as an example I quoted the folks we know who too are medically trained and yet they still choose to smoke against all the perfectly good and proven facts to the contrary, again their choice so my mantra is and has always been BEWARE of experts make ones own personal choices based on the facts available.Simples.

Isn't it also 'experts' who tell us to get the flu jab every year? Funny that. :)
I also said "If you've never had flu before then maybe have it, otherwise the choice is yours", in other words "make ones own personal choices based on the facts available" just as you said. Your wife, as a nurse, will know from her working experience (unless she kept her eyes and ears shut all her career) that there is always more than one set of 'facts', especially amongst the 'experts'!

My mantra is exactly the same as yours - 'beware' of experts, no matter what their field of expertise.
Personal experience at the sharp end of the health service this last year has only highlighted the fact that many 'experts' in their field can often be highly overrated and not so 'expert' after all.

I have always made my own personal choices based on the facts available. Sometimes, however, it can be very hard to get hold of the necessary 'facts', even when it should be anything but! As a result I am now particularly wary and suspicious of mainstream medicine which is overly drugs led, imho. But, just in case you come back at me on that last one, I am most definitely not some sort of 'alternative therapy' freak! I base all my decisions on hard facts, evidence and personal experience.

Think you will also find if you re-read my original post that I didn't actually say that my two medics were 'right' or 'wrong', merely that they have never had flu jabs. I didn't qualify why ☺

Isn't it also 'experts' who tell us to get the flu jab every year? Funny that. :)
I also said "If you've never had flu before then maybe have it, otherwise the choice is yours", in other words "make ones own personal choices based on the facts available" just as you said. Your wife, as a nurse, will know from her working experience (unless she kept her eyes and ears shut all her career) that there is always more than one set of 'facts', especially amongst the 'experts'!

My mantra is exactly the same as yours - 'beware' of experts, no matter what their field of expertise.
Personal experience at the sharp end of the health service this last year has only highlighted the fact that many 'experts' in their field can often be highly overrated and not so 'expert' after all.

I have always made my own personal choices based on the facts available. Sometimes, however, it can be very hard to get hold of the necessary 'facts', even when it should be anything but! As a result I am now particularly wary and suspicious of mainstream medicine which is overly drugs led, imho. But, just in case you come back at me on that last one, I am most definitely not some sort of 'alternative therapy' freak! I base all my decisions on hard facts, evidence and personal experience.

Think you will also find if you re-read my original post that I didn't actually say that my two medics were 'right' or 'wrong', merely that they have never had flu jabs. I didn't qualify why ☺
Well you appear to want an argument here but I will not play that game with you, I explained what I meant so as far as I am concerned end of play , best wishes .

Don’t think anybody is looking for an argument, there is no absolute right or wrong when it comes to medical opinions, which is what you have both said in different ways. We make our choices based on assessing our own personal circumstances, I had the flu jab this year as I’m asthmatic and it was my GP’s advice to do so and for the first time in many years I’ve suffered for over a week with mild flu symptoms which may or may not be linked to the jab 😂 Incidentally, my health care friends don’t smoke but they do drink 🍷 quite a bit 😂

We did the same recently, chimney and adjacent wall, about 3 ton shifted out into garden and into sons tipper trailer in one day, while he pulled it down

We did the same recently, chimney and adjacent wall, about 3 ton shifted out into garden and into sons tipper trailer in one day, while he pulled it down

Removing chimneys, especially from inside the house, it a big, nasty, dirty job.

You hoover dust up for months afterwards! :eek: 😂

And isn't it amazing the physical amount of stuff you take out? You wonder where & how it all fitted inside in the first place ;)

Removing chimneys, especially from inside the house, it a big, nasty, dirty job.

You hoover dust up for months afterwards! :eek: 😂

And isn't it amazing the physical amount of stuff you take out? You wonder where & how it all fitted inside in the first place ;)
You are right there, I have taken 2 chimney stacks down and three chimney breasts, all had Crow or Jackdaw nests in them starting from the chimney pots [ now garden features ] right down to the hearths which were blocked off at the time, I still have one operating chimney left for our woodburners , a must have.SDC10046.JPG

Wow, windy or wot!!

Sorting ceiling joists this morning, ready for plaster boarding on Monday - oh how I'm looking forward to that :rolleyes:.

I'll post some pics when it's finished Trixie - could be a while yet :rolleyes:
Starting to put up the plasterboard today.
lucky you chris......all that diy work going on.........you will be very proud of it .......all the hard working being put into it........keep smiling....

Ceiling plaster boarded, new stud wall and door lining done. Walls cut out ready for the electrics, so hoping to get some pb on the walls today. Good job tis all inside work, cos the weather has been naf lately.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back