Croatia ?

Trotter

Anyone done this recently?

Did Croatia several years back. Loved it and intend to go again soon. Adriatic coast was stunning but came back inland which was a bit “iffy” as there were still plenty of signs of war damage and many areas where you couldn’t wander off the road far due to mines!! Used a mixture of camp sites and “aires”. Drove in from the north but went on to Italy taking the Zadar to Ancona ferry.

I’m trying to do as much as I can while the van, and more likely, I still can.
I joined the army to see a bit of the world. I saw Hampshire and north west Germany.
Springtime to me, means Portugal and Spain. Early Autumn? I’m pretty much open to suggestions. Turkey, Greece, a bit to far
Gis a clue. Spose there’s Italy. I did mention that to Roger, he reckoned it was a fairly good choice.
Maybe I’ll play safe and wander around southern France for a few weeks

Suggestions, not necessarily, on a post card please.

I did a trip to Slovenia Croatia and Bosnia last Autumn and a longer one a few years ago. We stayed on sites as wild camping is not permitted in either Slovenia or Croatia, and Bosnia is a bit wild and still has landmines in wild areas! Can get campsites in Croatia and Bosnia for around €15-20. In terms of development, Slovenia is first, then Croatia, then much further down the list Bosnia. The scenery is generally stunning in Slovenia and on the Adriatic coast in Croatia.

Bosnia is like stepping back into the 50's ... very poor, but lovely people. I toured there with my parents in a Dormobile in the late 1950's before they had metalled roads and although it has dragged itself into the 20th century it is still a peasant economy in country areas.

Slovenia - visit the Soca valley
Croatia - Visit Krk island, and it would be stupid not to see Dubrovnik to see it's historical significance ... but beware it is 200% touristy, full of crap gift shops and awful rip off touristy restaurants ... a mere shadow of what it was like in the 1950's when I was there! The Peljesac peninsula is very picturesque and Ston is Europe's answer to the great Wall of China and the wine on Peljesac is great! (It was the larder for Dubrovnik)
Bosnia - visit Jajce ... an ancient capital. When I was there in the 1950's the women were in national dress and the men on horseback with either swords or rifles slung over their shoulders ... no longer but it is a pleasant place. We also went to Mostar to see the bridge - now re-built - but a total tourist trap like Dubrovnik.

It's all subjective of course, but if you want something different, I would say give it a try?

Jeremy

We went in 2019.
We didn't see any wild camping. We used the camperstops which were basic campsites ,usually with showers and toilets. The cost was between £6 and £22 a night.
It was an enjoyable holiday, a lot of the camperstops preferred to be paid in euros. We used very little local currency.

I did a trip to Slovenia Croatia and Bosnia last Autumn and a longer one a few years ago. We stayed on sites as wild camping is not permitted in either Slovenia or Croatia, and Bosnia is a bit wild and still has landmines in wild areas! Can get campsites in Croatia and Bosnia for around €15-20. In terms of development, Slovenia is first, then Croatia, then much further down the list Bosnia. The scenery is generally stunning in Slovenia and on the Adriatic coast in Croatia.

Bosnia is like stepping back into the 50's ... very poor, but lovely people. I toured there with my parents in a Dormobile in the late 1950's before they had metalled roads and although it has dragged itself into the 20th century it is still a peasant economy in country areas.

Slovenia - visit the Soca valley
Croatia - Visit Krk island, and it would be stupid not to see Dubrovnik to see it's historical significance ... but beware it is 200% touristy, full of crap gift shops and awful rip off touristy restaurants ... a mere shadow of what it was like in the 1950's when I was there! The Peljesac peninsula is very picturesque and Ston is Europe's answer to the great Wall of China and the wine on Peljesac is great! (It was the larder for Dubrovnik)
Bosnia - visit Jajce ... an ancient capital. When I was there in the 1950's the women were in national dress and the men on horseback with either swords or rifles slung over their shoulders ... no longer but it is a pleasant place. We also went to Mostar to see the bridge - now re-built - but a total tourist trap like Dubrovnik.

It's all subjective of course, but if you want something different, I would say give it a try?

Jeremy
Very informative. Thank you for sharing

I prefer to use free places where ever possible. Thinking of £20 a night would be a game changer for me.
Europe is a big place, and I’ll be honest, I’d rather spend my hard earned, on diesel
Again, thanks for your interest

Back