Diesel heater ? What does it look like and where is liable to be ?

Nosmo king

Hi, a couple of years ago I had to renew the nearside (RHD) steering track rod, while underneath the mate said to me, oh you’ve got a diesel heater, apparently he could tell by it’s exhaust, under the nearside wheel arch, but we never pursued it, so if any kind chapppie or chappes out could tell me where to look please 👀?

was that on a mercedes sprinter?

as some are fitted with a eberspacher diesel heater from new

easiest way is look underneath for the exhaust

silver corrugated (30mm approx diameter ) exhaust pipe

Probaly a engine coolant/hydronic type....

Warms the engine water to save wear and tear AND make the heater work efficiently (modern diesels tend to run a bit on the cool side)

Ok peeps, many thanks to all for replying, yes it is a Mercedes Sprinter Hymer 2001 2151cc, (RHD) under the nearside front wing is what could be said to look like a pressed tin exhaust silencer, it’s about 140mm x 100mm x 30mm with the exhaust tube/outlet being about 30mm, I can’t see a “heater” or any thing that turns it on ?

on mine the heater is under the bonnet , on the cross member to the right [passenger side ] of the radiator , rectangular box with tubes in and out

For controls and how to use it

this has been
covered previously on this forum
Use the search function and search on :-
Question for Trek”

Yes they are made by eberspacher but all it does is warm the engine coolant up quicker, it will only work whilst the engine is running, and must have at least 1/4 tank of fuel, the switch is with the heater controls, I find it very handy to get the cab heater warm quickly on cold days

depending on what was ordered when the vehicle was new it can be one of two options

an
heater that adds extra heat to the coolant to boost the heat to the cabin via the dashboard heat exchanger matrix and this only works when the engine is running

or
An engine pre heat function as well as the boost function as above that will work with engine off and warm the engine prior to starting it

sometimes there is also a timer facility so it can programmed to start at a settime in the future

Yes they are made by eberspacher but all it does is warm the engine coolant up quicker, it will only work whilst the engine is running, and must have at least 1/4 tank of fuel, the switch is with the heater controls, I find it very handy to get the cab heater warm quickly on cold days

Many thanks Helen, it’s just that I’m carrying out some modifications in there and thought I might be able to use that heater, as far as the heater switch is concerned 😟 complicated, I’ll look tomorrow

depending on what was ordered when the vehicle was new it can be one of two options

an
heater that adds extra heat to the coolant to boost the heat to the cabin via the dashboard heat exchanger matrix and this only works when the engine is running

or
An engine pre heat function as well as the boost function as above that will work with engine off and warm the engine prior to starting it

sometimes there is also a timer facility so it can programmed to start at a settime in the future
I still have t got the bottle up to try and change mine Trek. I keep thinking if I just remove the d+ wire and replace with permanent (or separately switched) live it should work as it only needs ignition switched on.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back