Discount schemes / memberships

Rockburner

Discount schemes / memberships

Is it just me, or is there a HUGE number of motorhome/campervan discount schemes and club memberships?

Is there a definitive list anywhere that someone has found?

Camping and Caravan club,
Caravan & Motorhome club,
MotorcaravannersClub
(and lots more clubs!)
ACSI
France Passion
BritStops
Spain passion
WioldCamping
MotorhomeFacts
MotorhomeFun
Out&AboutLive
Motorhomer.com
PracticalMotorhome.com
Caramaps.com
(and that's only the ones I've so far found and can remember in 2 minutes!)

How many are people a member of and which do you recommend for good offers?
Is it actually worth spending the circa £250 - £300 to join them all each year?

We're looking to be travelling in UK/France/Spain/Italy at minimum, so a) looking to reduce costs, and b) looking to get useful memberships of organisations within those countries.

I'm getting a little confused (again) about all the choices!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lordy that is a lot...

We are members of the C&MC and C&CC in the UK as we use their sites in the UK so get discounted rates as members; and we also receive their magazines. We have found that being a member of these two - who are the largest in the UK AFAIK - is more than enough for us.

We are members of ACSI as we travel abroad out of high season and its a 'no brainer' to get their card. One night's discount can pay for the whole years membership.

We don't use Britstops as we don't want to stay at pubs. We don't use France Passion as we don't want to stay out in the middle of no where. However in both these cases many folks swear by them...it just doesn't suit us, that's all.

I post on here and MHF plus a more car based forum, which does have a camping, caravanning, motorhoming section too (it's pretty quiet though).

Lastly we subscribe to MMM magazine which we both enjoy reading.

So I guess all in all we spend around 40 quid or so for each of the clubs; €18 I think it was for the ACSI; 12 quid for MHF; and another 40 quid for MMM...so around £150 a year I think (or two full tanks of diesel)

Graham
smile.gif

I'm with Groucho...

For us it varies from year to year. Our "must haves" are Wild Camping, MMM and ACSI. We are still members of Caravan and Motorhome Club but to be honest if it wasn't for the York site which we use at Xmas and the saving on the M6 toll, we might have ditched it. We have used France Passion in previous years but you need to be sure that there are sites available on your route otherwise it is expensive for what it is, plus we have yet to be asked to see a membership card !! CaraMaps is ok but CamperContact is just as good if you need it.
Dave

I was coming north on the m6 was tailing a big bursner that was hiking so tailed him to the split for the toll I took toll road and paid think £12 or £13 when the toll finished I ended up slipping in behind the guy in the bursner I was raging never used it since and never will again?

We are members of the Camping and Caravan club.We have only been members for the last two years,
and the only reason we joined was because our favourite site became affiliated with them.So we had to
join if we wanted to carry on going there.We are also subscribe to ACSI,Motorhomefacts,Wildcamping
and now on Motorhomer!:b0212:

*****;n10634 said:
Why would anybody use the M6 Toll?
We live in Stoke, and there is an easy way around it, if you don't want to go down the M6
A50 to the A38, then down to the A5 to the M42.
It takes 15 minutes longer then a free running M6 and costs nothing!

I suppose it depends where you are coming from, travelling to, and anyway I don't like Stoke ????

*****;n10698 said:
What does that matter? You can avoid the birmingham congestion without paying a toll.

By the time I've got from the Tunnel heading north I just want to get home at a constant upper speed limit not trundling around Burton on Trent etc, anyway it's hardly on topic and it's my money ??

C&MC, C&CC, WC, All The Aires and ACSI.

I keep the C&MC and C&CC going because there are specific sites that we use each year and the extra " non member fee " would cost more than the membership fee itself.

GMJ;n10535 said:
Lordy that is a lot...

We are members of the C&MC and C&CC in the UK as we use their sites in the UK so get discounted rates as members; and we also receive their magazines. We have found that being a member of these two - who are the largest in the UK AFAIK - is more than enough for us.

We are members of ACSI as we travel abroad out of high season and its a 'no brainer' to get their card. One night's discount can pay for the whole years membership.

We don't use Britstops as we don't want to stay at pubs. We don't use France Passion as we don't want to stay out in the middle of no where. However in both these cases many folks swear by them...it just doesn't suit us, that's all.

I post on here and MHF plus a more car based forum, which does have a camping, caravanning, motorhoming section too (it's pretty quiet though).

Lastly we subscribe to MMM magazine which we both enjoy reading.

So I guess all in all we spend around 40 quid or so for each of the clubs; €18 I think it was for the ACSI; 12 quid for MHF; and another 40 quid for MMM...so around £150 a year I think (or two full tanks of diesel)

Graham
smile.gif

I forgot - we buy Camperstop Europe every few years too so we can keep up to speed on Aires etc

Graham
smile.gif

*****;n10776 said:
I agree, it is slightly off topic, but I tried to help offering a good alternative and you just threw it back in my face!
Have a nice day!

Easy, easy.....

:)

We're all friends here. :)

I've done my time doing M40 to M6 in the past and I agree the M6 Toll can be a faster route, but I tend to not use it personally, I prefer the M42/M6 route round the west side of Brum, despite it's issues (the traffic at Liverpool is never light), thankfully I rarely have to go that way these days.

*****;n10776 said:
I agree, it is slightly off topic, but I tried to help offering a good alternative and you just threw it back in my face!
Have a nice day!

It was probably something to do with your opening sentence of, "why would anyone use the Toll" implying dumbness etc whereas something like "if you want an alternative......." would have set the tone you wanted ??

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back