Do you brake on a motorway?

Do you brake on a motorway?

• Yea, all the time. Just like any other road.

• Only when I come up behind a slower vehicle to look to see if it's safe to overtake.

• Only if the vehicle in front flips end over end and bursts into flames.

• Still never lol

Results are only viewable after voting.
over here i try not to touch the brake it drops out of cruise but you can run 20 miles without seeing a veh, but catch up to a lorry and someone will be flying up the outside lane gaurenteed,

Try my best to keep the cruise control on and drive ahead for economy, keeping at a constant speed and distance to the car in front . I reckon that half the problems on motorways are caused by (insert Annies adjective) braking hard and having a knock on effect for about 2 miles behind on a busy motorway as everyone else brakes. Hopefully you can stop this chain reaction by keeping a good distance and not touchng the brakes.

However this theory goes to pot when some ( insert Annies adjective) wants that gap you call braking distance that's in front of you.

I do despair of people that join the motorway that think it is so imperative (or their right) to occupy the space in front of you and cause you to brake. All for the sake of 20 feet. (Insert plural of Annies adjective).

When you’re driving an auto you're on the the brakes more often especially if you’re sitting on cruise control and have to make adjustments to speed. But I use different tactics when driving a manual using the revs of engine gears and a decent read of the road up ahead and behind me I tend to use the brakes as little as possible it’s just an old school way of driving but the younger generation are taught to drive not using gears as a means of slowing down. They are taught just clutch brake and can go from 6th gear down to second.🤔

When you’re driving an auto you're on the the brakes more often especially if you’re sitting on cruise control and have to make adjustments to speed. But I use different tactics when driving a manual using the revs of engine gears and a decent read of the road up ahead and behind me I tend to use the brakes as little as possible it’s just an old school way of driving but the younger generation are taught to drive not using gears as a means of slowing down. They are taught just clutch brake and can go from 6th gear down to second.🤔

No, they are taught to use the brakes to slow down, then to depress the clutch and change to the gear appropriate for the new speed. They are also taught to read the road ahead and plan accordingly so that braking is kept to a minimum by coming off the accelerator earlier so that engine braking comes into play. That applies to automatics as well.

Sometimes a little bit of gentle braking gets the Comformatic to apply engine braking, as well as disengaging cruise control. I avoid heavy braking wherever possible and by looking ahead and trying to anticipate what might happen this is usually possible. None of the survey answers apply to my style of driving so I have no idea what the results are.

Having only had bikes for the first few years on the roads I drive fairly defensively. Always keep aware of what’s happening in front and around me. I find automatics give more time to concentrate on what’s happening around you myself.

Not sure I understand this, I tend to find brakes slow my vehicle down and as they have been added to my vehicle I use them worldwide.

Gears to Go - Brakes to Slow

Always try to use Acceleration Sense through good Observation and Planning.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back