Doctor's Surgery: Am I too cynical?

unfortunately the system is not able to cope - there are not enough new GPs being trained - but that will make this thread political .....
Part of the problem is gp, are retiring early to make sure they get full pension .can't get an appointment at our surgery but never more than a few patients waiting .

I received a text today asking me to ring for an appointment for the flu jab. I'm guessing I'm on their priority list.
Must do it tomorrow....
Done it...
Appointment next Monday.

Should I need to see a doctor for anything else I can just walk in and wait. No appointment necessary.

The other alternative is turn up first thing and wait forcing some attention or go to A&E
Some towns have 24hr non A&E departments at hospitals or walk in centres.
It seems ridiculous that you can't book a non urgent appointment with a specific GP in less than 6 weeks or so!

Don't forget that GPs whilst ostensibly part of the NHS are private contractors!
Non partner doctors may be employees but only of the practice.
There are some rules for the practices to follow but they can run their businesses much as they like.

The other alternative is turn up first thing and wait forcing some attention [...]
Unfortunately, NHS rules now permit surgeries to deregister abusive patients. While they say that patients should not be deregistered for merely complaining, the NHS don't actually define 'abuse' AFAICT. Sitting quietly waiting wouldn't force attention (at least, not in my surgery) and making enough fuss to force attention might be considered 'abusive'. Getting deregistered is not good in an area where one practice group has a monopoly...

I am extremely fortunate with our health centre here on Bute.
I have been told that, provided I call by midday, I should get an appointment that day.
I can really ask for anything better than that !

Our surgery's system is useless. To see a Doctor you have to ring between 8 & 9 in the morning to get an appointment that day. You can't book more than a day ahead. It is very difficult to get through because the line is constantly busy, but by 8:30 you will be told there are no appointments left for that day and you must try again the next day. You finally get to see a Doctor a week later and they say "Why didn't you come to see me sooner?"

If you can persuade the receptionist that your case is urgent then they MAY get a Doctor to call you at lunchtime after they have seen all their patients (the lucky ones who managed to get through in the half hour allotted) but they will probably say that they really need to see you so can you make an appointment tomorrow.

You have to laugh or you'd cry. :ROFLMAO: :mad:

Our surgery won’t allow you to make appointments. You have to telephone to make a call back telephone appointment with the doctor. I rang the other day at 8.00 and my call back was 10.30. Had the doctor wanted to see me, I’d have been seen the same day. Prescription picked up later that day. For my needs, an excellent service and an efficient way of dealing with the Drs time issues. However, I appreciate it won’t suit everyone ... but needs must.

Forget getting flue jabs as it mutates as it passes through people,they put the most likely ones in the jab but chances of it working a slim,i ask my doc about this and he agreed,i had it once and got the flu about two weeks later,so never got one again and have only had real flue twice in my life.

I have always had the flu jab & was neither up nor down with it.
I have found that it seems to make any cold & flu-ish symptoms much less severe.

We each have different experiences and differing views - which maakes life much more interesting !

A lot to be said for walk in and wait system - isn't that how it used to be?
Go to my surgery (Monday to Friday) by 0830 everybody gets taken by 0900 .
Works perfectly , no idea why other practices don't do rhis

Our GP is retiring in December. He is 75 years old and a one man band. Not many of those left I bet.

Everyone is being transferred to a Group Practice nearby, so I bet my days of getting a very quick appointment (same day usually) are over. :(

I'm guessing there is a staff rota and it's only done in 1 month in advance and therefor booking appointments outside of this would result in cancelled appointments, which is something cqc would call them out for.

Working in social care for 11 years has taught me that while people day to day care and try their best. The ultimate management of people is all about ensuring things look(look being the key word) safe and effective and caring. Sure in your situation it looks uncaring, but the systems set up to meet its own objectives. What's inpractical for you, looks good to the people at the top.

Is it set up like that on purpose? Probably not.

Sometimes I feel like my three year wait is some ploy by the clinic to make sure I can't reach treatment by a event happening in those years that would result in discharge for example a letter goes missing or suicide/death or mental health issues, basicly any event that could mean I'm not on their listwhich could prevent me from receiving treatment. The reality however is that the system is just set up to meet people's needs with the resources available. In my case the resources are limited. Does it factor in people's lives and individual needs? Not unless those needs are stated in a care plan or in notes.

Last edited:
I rung our doctors Monday at 8.15 was on hold for 8 minutes listening to a recording telling me I was 10thin line then 8 then 7 well you get the picture then receptionist asks what the problem is they then add you to a doctor that they deem best suited to your ailment/ problem you are then told that the doctor will call you back over the next 4 hours to discuss the problem further and he will then decide if an appointment is needed I got my appointment at 4pm the same day and while I was there I got the flu jab without requesting it as I am on a priority list. Gone are the days when you can just tip up at the surgery and sit and wait it seems the way they do it now whittles out the time wasters 😏

The quickest, easiest and most convenient around here to get a free flu jab is Tesco and if you have to pay you also get club card points (y)

The GP is a flaming joke and never even bothered contacting us last year !

We rang them to be told that someone will ring us back to make the appointment, no one did !

Don`t get me going about the Gestapo receptionists or the prescription system, there`s not enough angry emoji`s on here to show how i feel !

.FLUE JABS.........most doc surgeries around here run a flue jab clinic......usually on a saturday.......no appt necessary........
just walk in and wait your turn.
quick turn around as there are 4 or 5 nurses giving the jab.......in and out of the room in a matter of a few mins...SORTED
make a suggestion to your docs surgery that they operate a couple of flue clinic days........

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back