Ford Transit (2004) flat battery, underseat. Cant get in using remote!!

DTDOG

Ok, so this WAS my issue. I'd not used my van for a couple of months so when I came to give it the once over (for the Bugsworth Christmas meet) I couldn't get in to my van as the van battery had gone flat (possibly radio drain etc I'll find out why later). Anyway, so flat battery meant the remote wouldn't work the central locking and the battery is situated under the drivers seat!!! I needed to get at the battery to give it a charge so the central locking would work (btw, the lock on the drivers door doesnt work and being a Ford, this is the only external lock and yes, I know, I need to get this sorted as well).
Well, it turns out that there's a main + terminal at the side of the fuse box for jump starting the van, so I connected my battery charger to this terminal (negative to the bodywork) and straight away the central locking opened the doors to allow me access to the battery, which I then connected my charger to the battery direct and this is now sat there until I need the van at the weekend.

Thought I'd share the location of this terminal for fellow Transit owners just in case of similar issues:-
IMG_5654.jpg

Ok, so this WAS my issue. I'd not used my van for a couple of months so when I came to give it the once over (for the Bugsworth Christmas meet) I couldn't get in to my van as the van battery had gone flat (possibly radio drain etc I'll find out why later). Anyway, so flat battery meant the remote wouldn't work the central locking and the battery is situated under the drivers seat!!! I needed to get at the battery to give it a charge so the central locking would work (btw, the lock on the drivers door doesnt work and being a Ford, this is the only external lock and yes, I know, I need to get this sorted as well).
Well, it turns out that there's a main + terminal at the side of the fuse box for jump starting the van, so I connected my battery charger to this terminal (negative to the bodywork) and straight away the central locking opened the doors to allow me access to the battery, which I then connected my charger to the battery direct and this is now sat there until I need the van at the weekend.

Thought I'd share the location of this terminal for fellow Transit owners just in case of similar issues:-
View attachment 51660
Similar position on the Mk7.

If your battery was too flat to operate the central locking you may find the battery has irreversibly drain damage make sure you get the battery drop tested when it’s had a 48 hour charge

Airport car park after 2 weeks on hols is full of dead cars,after a mth most car/van start batteries are stuffed,you must give them a we charge once a week.

The ignition key opens bonnet at the grill. It’s a non electric lock not connected to central locking.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back