FUEL CONSUMPTION

Because of all this concern regarding MPG I thought that I'd 'ave a check. 6 days chugging around the Suffolk region doing NT things with my carer, our 20+ years old 2.5 tdi Ducato based 'van averaged 29.86 mpg, which I think is pretty damned good

I love the views going over the alps, but Anita is too scared of the drops on little roads to drive. So I can't fully enjoy the experience.

We found the Little St Bernard Pass from Italy into France to be breathtaking in places.

Less so the Fern and Brenner Passes...

Graham
smile.gif

Rae,
It sounded great as you passed us this morning as you were leaving. Close your eyes and it could have been a tight new car.

Hope mine improves with use !
I’ve done 2,500 miles since new and averaging around 28 mpg.
2.3 lt 150 bhp Fiat base vehicle @ 3.5 tonne.
I average between 28 and 33 same engine same weight we've done about 10.000 miles now we've also got a comfomatic gearbox. So all in all happy with that .its all down to the right foot.

I'm in the market for a newer van and see a lot of these Euro 6 Diesels I know they are supposed to be greener but has anyone any experiance of the engine and MPG for a 3500 Kg van

I have a citroen based 2016 Euro 6 van doing only UK averaged 33.7mpg over past 4k miles

Ducato 2;3 130 bhp usually get 30 mpg mixed driving.
Had to hurry back from Scotland once for a funeral that knocked it down 22 mpg. Speed is killer of mpg.

I'm driving a 2008 Fiat Euro6 diesel 2 litre panel van of 3500kg. I'm careful about weight and usually have one overhead locker empty.

I try to drive carefully, use cruise control as often as possible, use the dash indicated recommendation of when to change gear, and seem to be achieving 32mpg overall. I'm happy enough with that.

I have posted before...
We get both below 30mpg (eg Swiss passes) and above 30mpg per tankful.
Overall over 30mpg (just) on mixed driving all summer.
Quite happy with that (Renault Master 2.5 DCI 3500kg)
6 forward gears help and as has been posted keep under 55mph.
Light right foot (both pedals) and look ahead

The best mpg I ever achieved was over in France over a 3,000+ mile tour when 'Millie' somehow achieved a over 40mpg, proving that the Renault Dci 100 is a very economical engine even if it isn't exactly brimming with get up and go.

I'd always assumed that cruise control helped mpg, but never researched it before. Advice through Google (ie RAC website and others) seems to be that on long sections of levelish roads it helps mpg (ie motorways), but on steepish roads it decreases mpg. So you are both right. :)

To be honest, I've always listened to the sound of the engine, and if it seemed to be working harder with cruise control I switched it off. So it looks like I can carry on as before, but a little less often. Thank you both again.

Yes
Cruise Control is designed for easy fastish roads maybe with slight inclines
Not hills and bends or towns/cities
As posted "listen to your engine" and maybe your partner ?

Hope mine improves with use !
I’ve done 2,500 miles since new and averaging around 28 mpg.
2.3 lt 150 bhp Fiat base vehicle @ 3.5 tonne.
That’s almost exactly what I get - 11,111 miles in at the weekend. Disappointing I have to say....

The downside with cruise control is that it maintains constant speed.
So where an alert driver could maintain a constant throttle position to take advantage of a downhill stretch before a climb the cc will back off and then accelerate.
Whether this uses more or less fuel I don't know.
I have noticed on motorways that inclines do slow traffic so when using cruise control you do catch up vehicles that previously were travelling the same speed.
In this country traffic density is such that the opportunities to use basic cc are getting fewer.
I suppose that adaptive cc is the future?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back