Fuel theft!

SquirrellCook

How many of you have suffered from your tank being emptied? What damage was done it the process, and what have you done to deter them?
Just had around 100 litres taken fro

• Sad
Reactions: RAW
How many of you have suffered from your tank being emptied? What damage was done it the process, and what have you done to deter them?
Just had around 100 litres taken fro
Vehicle Fuel? There were lots of reports of domestic fuel thefts a while back in my general area - and here we are talking not 100 litres, but 1000 litres!

the problem with securing the filler caps is that it doesn't stop a thief making a hole at the bottom and just draining the fuel (and gravity is a lot quieter than a pump!) - you end up losing the fuel and left with an expensive repair to boot.

Did you have a locking fuel tank cap?
One had a locking cap, that had been broken to get to the fuel. The access to the filler neck was made award after first moving to Yorkshire and an attempt made then. Betty the new project didn't and should have been an MOT/PSV failure for that alone. We couldn't understand why anyone hadn't emptied that some time ago.

you end up losing the fuel and left with an expensive repair to boot.
That's always the worry about increasing security. Though because Murky's tank has been moved it would be possible to panel under the tank without much trouble.

Its cheaper to lose the fuel rather than having your tank spiked !

With a full tank of fuel costing what it does these days, no doubt there will be an ever increasing number of similar thefts!

The galling thing is that these days the people carrying out these crimes have no respect or regard for the law added to which is the fact that the police don't seem to care because they are drowning under pies of red tape and form filling as well as their dwindling numbers!!

Its cheaper to lose the fuel rather than having your tank spiked !
This is a valid point. If you don't secure anything no damage will be done when taking it. So let's grow this theory. Someone knocks on your door. "Excuse me Sir, I'm planning on robbing your house, if you just hand me all the things I'm looking for it will save us both a lot of stress" Now you'd think as the visitor was captured by your cctv he or she could be prosecuted. You will find that the chances of the police attending your house are slim to non. Your cctv images are not sharp enough to be used in court. Seriously one scum bag looks just like another.

The up side to this and your approaching the time when your next home is a care home. You'll get much better care and attention if you do away with the said scum bag. 25 years free room and board. And they have to look after properly too. It's the law.

The only good that comes of reporting a break in to the police is the crime report needed fo the insurance claim a heighbour had is house broken into by the backdoor being smashed down. The police took 4 days to attend then it was just a comunity copper on foot who just gave the crime sheet to him . Cornwall & Devon police

I'm another one that won't have a lockable cap,cheaper to replace fuel than repair or replace the tank.

Must say the last time (and only time at a property) I had a break-in, the police, after a slight persuasion but not too much, sent down a SOCO from Auld Reekie to the Borders to have a look and take finger - and boot - prints about three hours after reporting the event. Although she didn't hold out much hope of catching anyone as the only fingerprints were Marigolds!

First thing you should keep hand is a biro case and some barley,when you call the police tell them you are about to shot burglar,when the plod arrive the will ask you to hand over the gun to which you reply who said anything about a gun,then produce the barley shooter,works every time. :LOL:

A close friend of ours who lives well out in the rural countryside, tragically lost her husband to cancer some months ago. Because they have some land attached to their property he had always had a shotgun.
Having taken advice from numerous people she decided to keep the shotgun and get herself a licence (not that she is ever likely to use it), her reason being that if she ever hears any noises or sees any signs on her security surveillance cameras, she knows that if she phones the police, they will come to her aid in droves and in only minutes!

A farmer friend of mine was fed up with visits from the other group of travelers , who helped themselves to the fuel in his horsebox on a regular basis . He drained the tank , disconnected it and filled with a diesel cocktail , including some red and even roundup and sugar !! Sure enough it went , never had a visit since . He also ran a merc diesel car on red , had an auxillary tank in boot , normal tank was not connected but 3/4 full of road fuel .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back