gas.. at risk of frustrating people I have another question

Busylizzy

Well those are all very impressive... I didn’t even know I had one until the caravan repairers pointed it out when saying about the gas to B !!!!😵😵😵😵

Vanterrier

Typical spare wheel space tank...
K ;)

chrismilo

First,let’s assume you have your gas cylinders in a gas locker. That being the case the simplest method would be to fit refillable bottles as direct replacements. Look on either Gaslow or Gasit web sites. I went for aGasit 11kg Refillable. Easy peasy
Don't forget your membership discount on gasit

Busylizzy

In the morning I am going to exchange a 6 k light weight cylinder. I will have to unattach the current cylinder as I can’t the empty one out otherwise. The one in use is about three quarter used but I’m not exchanging yet!!!!
It is really proving me the cost of exchanging these bottles !!!!! Argghhhh !!!!

Busylizzy

I mean the empty canister is on the right but I can’t get it out without removing the current canister in use in the left. Bloody rubbish design !!
Are the designers of mobile homes on acid or what ???

mistericeman

In the morning I am going to exchange a 6 k light weight cylinder. I will have to unattach the current cylinder as I can’t the empty one out otherwise. The one in use is about three quarter used but I’m not exchanging yet!!!!
It is really proving me the cost of exchanging these bottles !!!!! Argghhhh !!!!
Truthfully one of THE best things I ever did to our moho...
Was to ditch the ludicrously expensive to refill Calor 6kg bottles and replace them with 2 gaslow bottles and external filler kit....
I can fill both bottles at less than 60p a litre....

I managed to pick up 2 6kg gaslow bottles for less than £100 (still plenty of test on them) and filling kit etc for less than £60.

witzend

If you use your van in europe don,t forget french an spanish gas is considerably cheaper than uk 13 kg 21€ & 12€ respectivly. Mainly using ours in france I,ve never bought any uk gas

Markd

That Spanish gas price is less than UK Autogas because we have fuel duty and full VAT included.

Last edited:

Forresbroons

I don’t know what van you have. Mine is the Adria Twin. That’s a panel van conversion. It came with 2 x 6kg calor bottles. Putting a tape measure in the locker,it became pretty obvious that 1 x11kg bottle would fit. It’s not exactly snug, but as I’m never going to have to move it, even that wouldn’t prove to be a problem.The only issue, and tbh, it’s not a biggie, I have to take a photo of the gauge in order to read it. The gauge is on the top of the bottle. I’ve kept 1 x 6kg calor as a spare/backup.
Maybe it’s something to consider. If you have access to Brave Pills, it’s a job you can do yourself. When I realised I had done it correctly, the sigh of relief was very audible 😉
I’d be,very, happy to show you my setup at a meeting.
Hi Trotter,

Any chance of a pic or two of your set up, as we are thinking of doing something similar in our van which has a gas locker. One of the things I am trying to avoid if possible is putting a hole in the van bodywork for the replenishment points.

Many thanks
Keith

Trotter

Hi Trotter,

Any chance of a pic or two of your set up, as we are thinking of doing something similar in our van which has a gas locker. One of the things I am trying to avoid if possible is putting a hole in the van bodywork for the replenishment points.

Many thanks
Keith
I’ll try, but remember that you’ll probably not get away without drilling a hole for the refill point. That’s where the Brave Pills come in. Measure twice, then twice more, cut once, with trepidation 😥
Without the external fill point, I would have had to open up the van rear doors , if it was raining, the bed would have got soaked.
Bear with me, I’ll try the photo thing later. I’m not great at this.
Or much else tbh😳

Trotter

I’ll try, but remember that you’ll probably not get away without drilling a hole for the refill point. That’s where the Brave Pills come in. Measure twice, then twice more, cut once, with trepidation 😥
Without the external fill point, I would have had to open up the van rear doors , if it was raining, the bed would have got soaked.
Bear with me, I’ll try the photo thing later. I’m not great at this.
Or much else tbh😳
If it ever stops raining 🌧

The laird

Rally Organiser

Libby give this company a call he is genuine and mention you are a member to get a better price I got Allugas fitted but it is dearer but lighter ,he can advise you without any purchase HERES a pic

CFCE1E08-3662-432D-BFFB-E10ADF525FF5.png

Last edited:

Markd

I didn't have a clear enough space available for the standard fill point on my van so cheated with Gasit's internal filler point and rubber cover.
A much smaller hole to drill bu you have to screw in the adaptor each time - which is no big deal and when abroad you do that anyway.

fp-046.220.png

RV2MAX

On my RV the filler point was mounted just under the skirt panel so no hole in body needed . In your van you can route the pipe thru floor and put filler either just behind front wheel or just in front of rear wheeel this way no risk of grounding .

Markd

I should have said that I put my filler in the ally skirt after coming out the side of gas locker.
So no holes through floor or wall and short fixing screws work ok.

Winks

Just filled up at Morrisons in Barrow this morning. Sixteen litres of gas for £9 so there's your main reason for changing, if you use your van regularly.

I'll be in Carlisle with our van on the weekend of the 22nd of this month so if you would like a peep at our set up give me a shout.

Cheers

H

MikeK

Free Member

I decided to use 2 Gasit bottles in place of the Calor ones. Installation was very simple as I chose to put the filler connection in the gas locker, thus avoiding drilling the bodywork of the van. As one bottle lasts up to 2 weeks it gives me plenty of time to refill before the 2nd one is empty. The little yellow bag in the photo contains various adapters for filling abroad.

gas it.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:170)

GreggBear, Vanterrier, wildebus, mr brown, Forresbroons, Pugwash69, saxonborg, TeamRienza, Reiverlad, LANDS43, linkshouse, Topmast, andyjanet, Edina, dickydo, FERENZA, St3v3, Trotter, eurajohn, debs, motoroamer, Greengrass, Exwindsurfer, Molly 3, jagmanx, Millie Master, Okta, silverweed, Biggarmac, tripper, yorkslass, witzend, PeteS, Markd, TJBi, countrycruisers, scoobydiver, tapfitter, mistericeman, HurricaneSmith, Alf, Winks, Froodie, RoadTrek Boy, Bouydog, helmit, kevlakes, alwaysared, Mark135, Steveandjulie, cowanhouse, Campervanannie, nabsim, Caz, The laird, Tezza33, Minisorella, Sharon Crompton, Clunegapyears, RV2MAX, Barge1914, Starkicker, Alan1951, Dulvil, EJB, Tribute11, Mikael63, ironman, Ellendale, JohnsCrossMotorhomes, Essexboi, Hellfire, H Traveller, snapster, Ginfearsdad, bampi, jiwawa, MikeK, 11ALB, Boatman7973, Forrory, Nitkn, royh28, Brian the Snail, 2cv, Paulajc77, Raymondo, Jonnyjan, Doonadog, Wilfee, On a journey, KenT, Digger Dog, Yorkscol, kneespots, Nil, Lee, Tommyg, Pudsey Bear, grath, Wimbrill, Trompete, bartman, Kontiki, gladysroam, SueS, LifeBeyondBricks, Johndavies, Jack Alfie, Robina, Trevor Hobden, ScoTTyBEEE, findogask, saxonrosie, EllieL, driver12, Lord Lucan, isnbill, mossystone, Veggiechris, IscubaToo, subablu, Funman, Forcesixwindy, terry4156, abmnw, charlie356, coffeenut, bjh, Trublu33, henrym, GarethHowell, VWann, ian reed, traveller221, David0412, cornish hymer, arkwright01, Habilis - abilis, sandya, Tweedy, runnach, Nightwalker, Allenh, JFD, Salvage1, Nicnaen, mikethom, Codge, Grim the Viking, TheLizard, Nicknack, WestEndSaint, mervyncp, RichardA, Diver1swife, CliveW, Heyfield, scouter, in h, Fazerloz, SteveJ, Lefty, nickvanbitz, paulrichardson, old cronies, Thesmiths4, davidjlambert, xgx, Beatrix,