Generators

Bodger1

Free Member

Bought a Honda generator plugged into van checked a socket with plug tester and showing no earth is this ok cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here with all the Honda generators i own.
generator is a no brainier for me in the winter when solar is as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd.

Have almost finished building the van so will give it a go this weekend at the racecourse.

Same here with all the Honda generators i own.
generator is a no brainier for me in the winter when solar is as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd.
Solar Panels can actully be very useful in the winter I will have you know!! :mad:

When it rains, they stops the thump-thump-thump of the rain hitting the roof directly :p

i used a length of 15mm copper pipe hammered into the ground as an earth to stop the nasty tingle you can get grabbing a door handle ! once in the rain you had to remember to jump into and out of the van to avoid quite a nasty belt !

Move every day and you wont need a gen,or if power is a prob then a dare i say camp site,o yes most here do.

With all those car charging points around, what's to stop you plugging in and
getting a fast charge. Just need the correct plugs.
Free at Lidls.
Hope I haven't started a trend :unsure:

With all those car charging points around, what's to stop you plugging in and
getting a fast charge. Just need the correct plugs.
Free at Lidls.
Hope I haven't started a trend :unsure:
Well one thing is the batteries the great majority of people have won't accept anything like that fast a charge.
Also, the voltage levels would be much to high.
There are two things off the top of my head (a lot more required than just being able to make the physical connection ;) )

Only half serious, but could be done with not too high a level of DIY innovation.
And probably for much less than the price of a 2kW Honda generator!

Just a bit of lateral thinking needed in worst case scenario you show a member of staff at Lidls that your electric motor powered motorhome doesn't have a standard plug , and would they mind plugging your EHU 3 pin into one of their
loading bay sockets. ;)

Good luck with that one.
PS. the £2 approx of saving you will get plugging in may be offset a touch by the £90 charge you will get by overstaying at the Lidl car park (oh, is that what you meant by asking if anyone has got a fast charge at a LIDL car park?)

Good luck with that one.
PS. the £2 approx of saving you will get plugging in may be offset a touch by the £90 charge you will get by overstaying at the Lidl car park (oh, is that what you meant by asking if anyone has got a fast charge at a LIDL car park?)

Being semi serious but with more than a grain of truth;
It's not the inconsequential saving of a couple quid, it's the convenience
of getting a charge up while shopping, instead of perhaps aimlessly driving around for
a couple of hours. Can get a lot of power through a 13A 240v source in a couple of hours
for 12v usage.
No overstaying penalties in most Lidls carparks overseas. That's where it would particularly
apply to myself.
Actually in France it's not that unusual for a borne to be associated with a supermarket.
In certain circumstances as encountered in the winter could be a useful facility here, if it
saves starting up a generator just for 12vuse.

I saw an advert for the Hybrid Plug-in Transit and that made me think....

Get a plug-in Hybrid. Get a Lithium Battery bank that will let you recharge it at high current to full. Get a high power split-charge system suitable for a Hybrid.
Then when you are plugged into the roadside fast-charger (these are way more power than a 13A socket can deliver BTW), you will be filling your leisure battery bank at the same time as recharging your vehicle battery bank at the highest rate possible.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back