giving up going home

rugbyken

although the weather this trip has been fantastic and so have the locations the trip has been plagued by broken bits the barrel of the kitchen tap leaked tape it up carry on, the insect screen on the door that molly went through couple of years ago gave up the ghost tied it back with cable ties & bought hanging bead curtain from china shop carry on , fridge stopped working on gas went to camperserve at loule he fitted new burner assembly better than ever ice in water bottles after 4 hrs great so carry on , went on site at manta rota plugged in now fridge won’t turn back off 230v will not select automatic or gas can’t even turn fridge of using mode button so as soon as unplugged lights flash alarm buzzes , i have identified the fuses to turn of the display it’s only couple of weeks early we tried to get the long ferry nothing till november so it’s pull the fuses dash up through france with fridge as a cool box for 1600mls should be home by the 16th 9705C285-3158-45EE-9415-BBD3664B5C82.jpeg

Pity that you've had such bad luck, this trip.
In this hot weather a workng fridge is vital to keep you both healthy. . Do take care.
We no longer have our extended hookup cables.
Otherwise you'd have been welcome to try to get up our lane and park alongside the Ruin.
Best of luck, take care.

Sad news hopefully nothing else will go wrong safe journey.
The only plus is once you get North you won't need a fridge, autumn has come here .

freezer is ok on ehu if only the fridge worked on electric we could have managed silves are only cheap enough think it’s 4 nights price of three at moment so €7 a night but jan would have to drink warm wine so no chance

That's why I live in a a car lol

No room for fridge

But living the Vanlife lifestyle can be as cheap or expensive as a person wants to make it etc

I have lived in a car for 18 months or so now and absolutely love it

I don't have solar

I don't have a cooking stove because I can't cook or can't be bothered to cook and as such don't need a fridge etc but as my hours as I do not have the luxuries and convenience of these items etc I also do not have the complications when things go wrong etc Eg with a fridge or solar or gas etc

I only have the in car charger 12v for all power but have managed ok bar about 3 times where I have run the battery flat etc but that's my fault for forgetting to start car before draining power from in car charger etc but I've learned lol

I see these motorhomes going for in excess of £50k and think there isn't much I can't do in my car that a motorhome can do etc

I see these motorhomes going for in excess of £50k and think there isn't much I can't do in my car that a motorhome can do etc
I see your point. I mean you can easily walk about in a car to stretch your legs, have a shower, go to the toilet, sleep in a full sized bed and you can live on healthly take-away food rather than cooking all that unhealthly stuff you can do in a full sized motorhome.

Anyone fancy a swapping a fiat 500 or mini for my campervan.

No room for fridge

But living the Vanlife lifestyle can be as cheap or expensive as a person wants to make it etc

I don't have solar

I don't have a cooking stove because I can't cook or can't be bothered to cook and as such don't need a fridge etc but as my hours as I do not have the luxuries and convenience of these items etc I also do not have the complications when things go wrong etc Eg with a fridge or solar or gas etc

I only have the in car charger 12v for all power but have managed ok bar about 3 times where I have run the battery flat etc but that's my fault for forgetting to start car before draining power from in car charger etc but I've learned lol

Wash toilet sleep on a bed etc springs to mind.

No room for fridge

I don't have solar

Etc. Etc.....
Obviously your Wife is enjoying your freedom, too ?
Why not go one step further... And save even more money ..?

Sell the car, buy a sleeping bag, live in a shop doorway ...
Good luck in the winter, Chum.

Thanks for the offer Paul I am peed off that we have passed your hovel three times recently busy busy etc not managed to call in , today tommy at camperserve told me the pcb board behind the controls had gone and it needed renewing as a pair with the ribbon cable as we started the job he realised he hadn’t got the parts and would take anything from 2-8 days to get them, so I decided to just go for it we are now 300 mls north and on a lovely aire with free electric got one spotted for tomorrow about the same just above Burgos still bloody hot 36 today around Seville

81CE8FEE-353D-4D59-9B97-22A9718FE0FE.jpeg244AF11F-DB84-447A-B0CC-D3127A8373A7.jpeg

Sometimes
Giving up is better..
Than struggling on and the relaxing life being disrupted by whatever which then dominates.
Our first "big trip" (only a month) in 2013 to France became a pain for a variety of reasons partly due to it being our first long trip and no Calor available and driving too far, and a very very minor scuffle with a french motorbike.
Things do go wrong or fail and we have had to replace a faulty/worn out mixer tap (2017)
The Fridge burner (2018) and again the gas control valve (2018) and in 2019 2 new tyres in expensive Switzerland this year ( 1st puncture 2nd replacing the 10 year old spare)...Hope the fridge gets fully sorted.. Replacing bits is better than replacing the whole fridge..

The car solution offered would not suit us and I suspect not you :devilish: 🚓

i have trouble empathising with all this. we travelled extensively throughout France ,Spain and Portugal for years,with kids, without a fridge,water heater or toilet/shower and a woodburner for heating. even after we finally got these , we rarely used the fridge or water heater,just saw them as unnecessary and expensive luxuries.
in my youth i also lived in a car for some months,in winter. it was horrible ! i'm convinced you're better off outside on the ground than in a freezing tin box,apart from the sheer discomfort of car seats for sleeping

i have enjoyed/endured most forms of camping scouts, army bivouacs, frame tent, trailer tent, ready erected tents, caravans & finally 3 motorhomes approaching 70 and looking at long term touring i don’t need it to be harder than necessary after 6 weeks away i would have been heading home in another fortnight anyway why spoil good memories with bad experiences

Good luck, Ken and Jan.
Safe Travels

If he’s happy in his car then leave him alone. Be the bigger person. After all maybe he’s down on his luck and trying to put a better spin on it to make himself feel better, I can understand that
All very PC, Sir.
The poster made no contribution to sorting out Ken's problems.
I strongly suspect a wind -up from one of Ken's many mates..
Look in the dictionary..
Between Ironing and Issue .
You'll find the word.. " Irony "

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back