Handy roasties for Motorhome cooking.

wildebus

Made some dinner last night and as we had no potatoes, I decided to use one of the 'emergency' tinned new potatoes from LIDL.
Drained and left on some kitchen roll for a couple of hours to remove as much water as possible, then sprayed with a bit of oil and put in the Air Fryer for around 25 minutes.
They were really really nice and I think will be an ideal thing in a Motorhome (y)
Easy to keep in the motorhome and will last for an entire year BBE-wise if bought at the start of the season; is very cheap (I used the LIDL 'Simply' ones for even more scrooge-like buying) and cooks quickly. I will be making sure I have a few tins of those in the van ready :)

The meal yesterday FWIW was the potatoes and some roasted Veg both done in the Air Fryer, plus some coated Salmon Fillets and some roughly sliced seasoned Red Cabbage cooked in the Electric Steamer. In these days of watching rising food costs, I think it maybe cost around £1.75 each for the meal?

I'm with you David, an air fryer in the van is a game changer. Ok, I'm eating chips more often than I should. But I love living on the wild side.

Occasionally ;)
I've also got a Hytric Electric Hotpot, recommended by GJ. Works well at home. I'll mistreat it in the van, to see how it holds up.
TBH. The money I've spent on cooking utensils and batteries to run them, it would have been cheaper to eat out every night.

Last edited:
I'm with you David, an air fryer in the van is a game changer. Ok, I'm eating chips more often than I should. But I love living on the wild side.

Occasionally ;)
I've also got a Hytric Electric Hotpot, recommended by GJ. Works well at home. I'll mistreat it in the van, to see how it holds up.
TBH. The money I've spent on cooking utensils and batteries to run them, it would have been cheaper to eat out every night.
its like everything else we buy for the camper/motorhome it doesn;t make sence the amount it costs but its the convenient of being able to make your touring more enjoyable . we have taken tined spuds for years as a back up & the boss slices them then fry's the in the electric frying pan . cheyenne

MornIng Val, Started your Tatty pot ( corned beef hash, for non heathens) in the Hytric thingie, for us a couple of days ago. Went well, Transferred it all to a Pyrex dish, and finished it under the grill. Lush. Frozen mash, makes life so easy.
Another recipe in my repertoire. These telly chefs need a couple of days in the real world. The Essex bloke excepted.

Last edited:
MornIng Val, Started your Tatty pot ( corned beef hash, for non heathens) in the Hytric thingie, for us a couple of days ago. Went well, Transferred it all to a Pyrex dish, and finished it under the grill. Lush. Frozen mash, makes life so easy.
Another recipe in my repertoire. These telly chefs need a couple of days in the real world. The Essex bloke excepted.
Have you not tried the “Idaho” sachets of mashed potato, takes a minute to make and excellent quality.

Have you not tried the “Idaho” sachets of mashed potato, takes a minute to make and excellent quality.
Yes I've tried those. I found the packs to be too big for one. especially as I only have mash spuds once or twice a week. One advantage of travelling alone is, I've room, and perhaps the power to run a freezer. Frozen potato products make life so much easier, and I've more variety in my diet

They are possibly the best instant mash potato product in the world :D Always keep a few packs handy.

Yes I've tried those. I found the packs to be too big for one. especially as I only have mash spuds once or twice a week. One advantage of travelling alone is, I've room, and perhaps the power to run a freezer. Frozen potato products make life so much easier, and I've more variety in my diet
they serve 3 officially, so I tend to just use half a pack at a time.

Last edited:
Minsorella gave me a great tip a few years ago. I batch cook anyway so easy to do ahead. Cook, put in a sealed bag with air out roll flat. Freeze. I do this to the shape of a box that fits in the bottom of my tiny fridge. They defrost very slowly and help keep fridge cold.
Tinned potatoes make great small fries or get added if nec to stews. The aforementioned mash is great. Cous cous, thread noodles and quinoa mean I can have a meal very quickly. Puds of stewed apples also frozen. Topping of crumble done separately till crunchy and put in bag and then tin in cupboard. ( date on) can be added or instant custard.
I don't intend cooking major meals in my van when I'm away on my own. Enough of that when the children were with me.

Another thumbs ump for Idaho mash, 1 packet does me 2 meals.
I batch cook spaghetti bolls, curries, black bean Chinese etc and buy plastic Chinese type containers from eBay and freeze them. Always have at leat 6 of each in home freezer ready for when im on my travels.
I always have a couple of packs of par baked buns when travelling, buy them In 6 packs. 8 minutes in oven, job done. they have a use buy date of 1 month so ideal when travelling.

I try to batch cook. Only it always ends thus......
I enjoyed that, I'll just try a little more. Oh, it's not worth saving that little bit.
Then I'll do it all again the next night. I haven't learnt portion control, yet.

• Funny
Reactions: Caz
Yes a bit too much for one person, we manage to get two meals out of one packet as long as there is plenty of other veg.

Another handy packet is Waitrose Rosti , a few minutes in the frying pan add your extras and you’re ready to go.

Reactions: Caz
Rosti is good, they have it in Lidls sometimes. Tinned potatoes - slice and fry. Or half a bag of frozen potato wedges (the other half will keep in my little freezer compartment for a couple of days). Ridge Monkey is perfect for things like that.

I use instant mash, half a packet does me for a meal. Microwaveable rice packets are handy too, just empty into a saucepan with a bit of water to warm up.

I also batch cook and our freezer on board can take 8 meals for 2, or 7 meals plus space for some pizza dough bases as we carry a pizza making machine with us as well. Typically the batch cooked meals are bolognaise sauce; chilli; 2 different types of curry; and lasagne. If the weather is nice I'll get the Cadac out and cook meals on that. Paella is a favourite if I can get hold of the fresh ingredients.

Where can one find 12v air fryers and electric frying pans? I've searched all over since this was posted without any luck. Most of the other stuff that our friends here have listed is what we do, but the idea of an air fryer for the tin tent would be wonderful

Where can one find 12v air fryers and electric frying pans? I've searched all over since this was posted without any luck. Most of the other stuff that our friends here have listed is what we do, but the idea of an air fryer for the tin tent would be wonderful
They're 240 volt. Usually run through an inverter. Either from your battery bank, portable power bank. or on hookup.

They're 240 volt. Usually run through an inverter. Either from your battery bank, portable power bank. or on hookup.
Stupid me, of course they do!! Thanks for that. Because we seldom use places with electricity, and I gave my big msw inverter away , all we have is a 400 psw one for emergency, so I guess we'll stay with what works for us

We have a small crock pot which from memory is 40 or 60watt. This runs off a small cheapo inverter (again from memory about 250watt?) while we are driving.
So we have a hot meal ready when we pitch up after a days drive. The crock pot sits in the sink with rubber bands keeping the lid on.
The big problem is the wonderful smells wafting around the van while you travel! Gets the old digestive juices going!
Jeremy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back