How does one find campsites in Irish Republic

GarethHowell

We’ve been touring in Ireland for the past five weeks and we’ve been surprised at the absence of campsites - specifically, inability to find campsites on the web or app. We’ve used Park4Night, searchforsites, pitchup, location app and camping Ireland.ie and there are hardly any.

We do occasionally see some as we drive around but they are hardly ever on search engines. Have we missed the Golden Source? Or are there really so few campsites in Ireland.

FWIW, we’ve not had a problem finding places to stay, there are plenty of places to wild camp, just very few proper sites.

Gareth

We found getting rid of waste was an issue. Even getting rid of rubbish was difficult.
Hope you get sorted soon.

Many of the campsites in Ireland do not subscribe to the ‘official’ tourism campsite guide,

You could try pitchup although I have no experience of it. However it has only about 21 sites listed.

You might find more information on the motorhomecraic app which is now called Motorhome parking locations.

This has the advantage that it is based on contributions by motorhomers. It has recently transferred to a new platform which allows photos, but it is early days, however the many hundreds of locations from the old text only site have been moved across. Also possible to ask on the locations forum (formerly craic) provided you ask about specific areas of the country.

Davy

You might find more information on the motorhomecraic app which is now called Motorhome parking locations.

This has the advantage that it is based on contributions by motorhomers. It has recently transferred to a new platform which allows photos, but it is early days, however the many hundreds of locations from the old text only site have been moved across. Also possible to ask on the locations forum (formerly craic) provided you ask about specific areas of the country.

Davy
Thanks. I did look at craic, but didn’t realise there was an app. I’ll take a look.

There's one over near Cong, Lakeland House Cong Camping Caravan and Glamping Park. Another one just ourside Mullingar, Lough Ennell Caravan Park, but as you say there are plenty of places to stop, ther last time we went which was a few years ago between Christmas and New Year we phoned one campsite that was listed in the Camping Ireland book and were told sorry we're no longer a campsite but a building site and have been for 2 years.

Tried the Motorhome Parking Locations. A struggle to sign up and log in. It’s all a bit clunky, a work in progress perhaps, but it does have a lot of locations and reviews, in GB also.

Ok. I’ve looked at them all and come to the conclusion that there just aren’t that many campsites in Ireland, and many of those that do exist don’t use the internet to promote their ways.

If you go to a tourist information office and pick up a Caravan,camping and motohome guide .That might help

169131766287196400767481189779.jpg

Reactions: 2cv

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back