It'll be ok, the forecast says it'll be calm overnight.

Scamper

It'll be ok, the forecast says it'll be calm overnight.

You know how it goes.... sitting outside under the awning watching the sun go down... you know you should put the awning away when you go to bed but you can't be bothered.

Next thing you know it's two am and the wind is howling, cue 2 semi-naked people battling to untether the awning and wind it back in!

We didn't make it!! Fortunately, it didn't rip the whole roof off and it only cost us a day and 150 Euro.

Lesson learned - it now always goes away overnight and is never left "unsupervised"!!

I never leave the wind out awning out overnight but then very rarely use it.There have been occasions in the past when the inflatable awning has been up in high winds and I have been worried about possible damage but it's quite remarkable how much an inflatable awning can flex in the wind.

Scamper;n5754 said:
You know how it goes.... sitting outside under the awning watching the sun go down... you know you should put the awning away when you go to bed but you can't be bothered.

Next thing you know it's two am and the wind is howling, cue 2 semi-naked people battling to untether the awning and wind it back in!

We didn't make it!! Fortunately, it didn't rip the whole roof off and it only cost us a day and 150 Euro.

Lesson learned - it now always goes away overnight and is never left "unsupervised"!!

Ouch oh dear lesson learned and I will never leave mine out now.

Scamper;n5754 said:

Been there, done that, got the T shirt and video.?

It was blowing a a hooley here at home last night. Almost took my shed door off and now the garden is covered in leaves that didn't grow here :rolleyes:
I rarely get the awning out but always check the weather forecast first for wind strength! Is that a bit OCD do you think? :Flushed_Face_Emoji:

Minisorella;n5837 said:
I rarely get the awning out but always check the weather forecast first for wind strength! Is that a bit OCD do you think? :Flushed_Face_Emoji:

Not at all Jennie,in fact I would have thought it rather prudent.I've also seen quite significant and expensive damage done by awnings that have been blown over the roof,more often on touring caravans.

I left ours out on the Iveco Daily and the wind took it over the roof, I had only fitted it the day before we set off on that holiday and it was wrecked, fortunately the roof was fibreglass so repairable cheaply, I haven't done it since

We (I) managed to rip our old awning off about 5 years ago on the corner of an almighty truck. No contest... truck without a scratch 1 - Birdie 0 - insurance, man of the match.
No help from strong winds required on that occasion... but my husband was a forgiving man and found it all hilarious :Flushed_Face_Emoji:

Minisorella;n5886 said:
We (I) managed to rip our old awning off about 5 years ago on the corner of an almighty truck. No contest... truck without a scratch 1 - Birdie 0 - insurance, man of the match.
No help from strong winds required on that occasion... but my husband was a forgiving man and found it all hilarious :Flushed_Face_Emoji:

I don't think I would have heard the end of that Jennie.:Surprised_Face_Emoj

I use the storm strap every time i put ours out even if the weather is glorious, never had a problem but it`s very rare i leave it out overnight.

Heard ( at approx 2am ) and then saw the next morning the damage done to an awning and what was left of a full Safari room at the Baltic Wharf CC site a few years back.

Several people including the wardens tried to warn him that a very nasty night was forecast but he knew best.

Motorhome side where the awning was attached, roof and one Heki was badly damaged and half of the panels of the Safari room had were gone, never to be found.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back