LPG tank gauge inaccurate

Pugwash69

I've got an underslung LPG tank visible from the side of the van, so I fitted a magnetic analogue gauge.
It was showing about 20% full this morning so I took it to the local fuel station.
It's a 23L tank, so 80% comes to 18.4L capacity.
I put 7.86L in today until it automatically cut off and it's showing about 80% full now.
By my reckoning that means there was 10.54L in the tank still and the gauge is rubbish, or BP's pumps cut off too early?

(not sure this is cooking but it's related)

Not sure what you mean by magnetic analogue gauge? I have an underslung tank and the dial gauge is on the tank behind the cover under the van so not much use to me. I had a non working LED indicator in the cab so traced the wires to a break just outside the cover. I repaired the wire and reset the gauge as I knew the tank was full so the gauge was set to full. It works by following magnets inside the tank which rotate on the axis of the float and so turn the needle of the gauge. The gauge acts as a resistor and sends a signal to the LED's in the cab and I am pleased to say that the Led's are accurate enough to rely on.
I believe you can buy the whole kit including gauge and LED's and fit it yourself easily.
I would not like to be without it, especially in winter.
K ;)

Like these on ebay. Search for:

K ;)

The led guage is a waste of time, when only the red light is on I still have half a tank left.

Not sure what you mean by magnetic analogue gauge?

A regular dial gauge that screws into the round holder on my gas-it tank. It registers the internal level sensor, apparently, using magnets through the tank wall. There's no sender wire on it. I can see the gauge and turn the supply on and off next to it anyway when I travel.
It's not a great photo but this shows the gauge after "filling" it today to the automatic cut-off at the pump.

20191101_171631.jpg

Last edited:
If you replaced that gauge with the one on ebay ( just two screws) and fitted the led indicator in the other ebay listing you would have a remote indication which should be as accurate as mine and better than Jenrai's.
K ;)

The led guage is a waste of time, when only the red light is on I still have half a tank left.
Theres no good reason why such a simple device should be so inaccurate. When your tank is full, do you have all led's lit? And does the on-tank gauge show full?
Remove the gauge from the tank and using a small magnet turn the gauge to half full then quarter full and check what led's are lit.
You should be able to check the resistance at each position too.
Good luck and I hope you can fix your gauge.
K ;)

Theres no good reason why such a simple device should be so inaccurate. When your tank is full, do you have all led's lit? And does the on-tank gauge show full?
Remove the gauge from the tank and using a small magnet turn the gauge to half full then quarter full and check what led's are lit.
You should be able to check the resistance at each position too.
Good luck and I hope you can fix your gauge.
K ;)

Yes all the led's are lit green when full. Clearly you have never encountered my level of technical ability. You lost me at on tank guage and magnet 😂

Yes all the led's are lit green when full. Clearly you have never encountered my level of technical ability. You lost me at on tank guage and magnet 😂
Me too my guage shows red when half full . Not overly bothered as it takes me a while to do anything

A regular dial gauge that screws into the round holder on my gas-it tank. It registers the internal level sensor, apparently, using magnets through the tank wall. There's no sender wire on it. I can see the gauge and turn the supply on and off next to it anyway when I travel.
It's not a great photo but this shows the gauge after "filling" it today to the automatic cut-off at the pump.

View attachment 51090
Looking at your photo again I can see the needle is pointing at 14 whereas you say full should be 18 lit. I would remove the gauge, two screws, and use a magnet to turn the needle to 18 then refit it and see if it stays at 18 to see if that makes any overall difference.
Good luck
K ;)

I'd best go find a magnet. I think I collected some strong ones from an old hard drive.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back