Motorhome caught emptying toilets into Loch Rannoch

I'm actually parked beside that loch and lo and behold the first thing I noticed when I stopped was an old campfire. The article seems to be aimed at people camping and doesn't mention motorhomes other than to describe the type of toilet...anyway I'm "parked" for the night.

What the f**k is wrong with people? Do they really have so little sense as to do things like that at all, let alone when people are watching. Christ on a bike, when everything is illegal & motorhoming is banned these nobheads might finally be happy. Wonder if they're govt payed "sleepers" put there to discredit us? ....😡

How many boats have sea toilets that can't be seen????
The thing is that poo in a pond is easily dissipated, but folks dumping stuff indiscriminately affects us all. I think that the problem is that there are a whole load of folks who do not understand the principle of Wild camping. There is a lump of newly wealthy folks who have wearied of leviathan caravans and Chelsea tractors, oh I could go on but we see so many in our narrow lanes....
Sue and I, along with most of us, have parked up at some truly wonderful spots and when we left, the spot was tidier than when we arrived. There has been the odd occasion when the poo pot was close to being full, so we have driven to a quiet spot, taken out the folding spade, dug a hole and emptied the lav and filled in the hole. We use green stuff in the lav. Sue was a girl guide way back in the dark ages and used to digging latrines and her knowledge is the principle that we use.
Our local caravan dealer has in recent times moved from mostly caravans to motorhomes with just a few caravans. Sorry folks, I realise that I am prattling on, it's just that some things get up my nose

Last edited:
When I read "dumping rubbish and human waste, as well as tree cutting and anti-social behaviour." it reminded me of touring New Zealand where years ago certain backpackers did as such ruining areas resulting in strict new rules and virtually killing off freedom camping there. But hey it was their gap year and they are unlikely to ever return again so couldn't care less about ruining it for anyone else to come. We also witnessed the same in Aussie with irresponsible young backpackers but with less drastic changes taken to combat the problem. Gee, the worst case scenario is to just dig a hole and bury it!
I take all media with a pinch of salt as the true full facts often make for a non story. I find it rather hard to believe that any actual motorhomer's would do as claimed, though guess that there is always the bad minority out there to taint it for the rest.

When I read "dumping rubbish and human waste, as well as tree cutting and anti-social behaviour." it reminded me of touring New Zealand where years ago certain backpackers did as such ruining areas resulting in strict new rules and virtually killing off freedom camping there. But hey it was their gap year and they are unlikely to ever return again so couldn't care less about ruining it for anyone else to come. We also witnessed the same in Aussie with irresponsible young backpackers but with less drastic changes taken to combat the problem. Gee, the worst case scenario is to just dig a hole and bury it!
I take all media with a pinch of salt as the true full facts often make for a non story. I find it rather hard to believe that any actual motorhomer's would do as claimed, though guess that there is always the bad minority out there to taint it for the rest.
Tonight Lake Pukaki, a beautiful freedom camping area amongst the pines. Signs everywhere warning high fire 🔥 risk, total prohibition of fires and some plonkers (old enough to know better) in a hire van have one going down on the beach. Fortunately wind is off the shore, but how long before freedom camping gets banned here too?

This sort of problem, if true, is one of communities wanting tourism to visit, but local authorities and nimbies not wanting to provide or manage facilities. Having just returned from New Zealand, it was refreshing to find dump stations all over the South Island. Why oh why are people scared of Motorhomers bringing money into their communities. Come on Britain, get in line with other more future thinking countries.

Perhaps this will cure it https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-50670896 be less going when its started
If or when they eventually impose this tax I hope the money raised is used to improve facilities for wild motorhoming, like providing more taps and places to dispose of grey and black waste and maybe providing/improving stopping points etc...
Some hope eh?
More contraversially could they impose an even higher tax on hire van users? From what I have seen and experienced they are a lot less responsible and considerate than owners.
K🤔

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back