NC500 this year

mendit

Firmly on the agenda for April this year looking at 3 weeks tour and looking at books maps and any helpful info any one has

I hate that name, NC 500. Call it a road trip with no fixed agenda. Personally I would go anti clockwise from Inverness, slow meander up coast towards JoG, along the top taking in Bettyhill, Durness, great craft village at Durness, down to Scourie, crossing Kylestrom bridge hang left towards Clashnessie, Achmelvich Bay is a must, then down Lochinver. If heading to the Applecross Peninsula, the world famous Inn is a must eat. Then doon the Bealach Na Ba (the pass of the cattle) better going towards Kishorn, as the views are better.

Remember, much of these roads are single track and can be challenging and not for the faint hearted.

WE tend to miss out J'O'Groats

Whip up the A9 unless you want to fight with coaches to buy a tam o shanter with ginger wig.

1674395426400.png

We did it in 2016 in 18 nights, although 4 nights were in Teesside to see family. It was 1900 miles norfolk-norfolk at a total cost of £680 inc fuel, food and sundries inc a trip up the Nevis Range gondola but exc a replacement cassette toilet (£120!). Only 4 nights were "free" inc 3 Britstops and 4 nights on Club Sites: it worked out at £9.21 pn on average. We have since returned to explore some places at greater length.

The roads were fine whilst single track, with plenty of passing places: it was when they expanded to "wide enough for 2 cars" that the fun started. PLEASE leave a large gap eg two passing place distances between yourself and the vehicle in front. And remember you are on holiday whereas some people will be rushing to get to work or appointments: let them get past you!

Enjoy - Gordon

WE tend to miss out J'O'Groats

Whip up the A9 unless you want to fight with coaches to buy a tam o shanter with ginger wig.

View attachment 65630
Just reading this Thread ...this is a part of Scotland I always have wanted to go to, now we have a M/H we might do.Can I tell you a little story, my late Mum told me that 'During the Waaw' (she didn't drive) & travelling by Public Transport she took my Brother who at the time was a 12mth Baby from Stoke On Trent up to Wick in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 & stayed in a B & B so she could be close to my late Father who was in Barracks near to Wick ,think he was in the Green Howards .This is on my Bucket list, what a trek ,shows how gutsy & tough our elders were.We just had 2 days of Snow & they shut the schools. Thanks for listening Chris.

I hate that name, NC 500..............
Thank goodness, someone that feels like me. The first time I visited Smoo Cave it was pretty much unknown, free, and there was a dead sheep that had fallen down through an opening in the roof.

Not too long ago I dived south at Bettyhill to stay at the Caravan & Camping Site at Altnaharra. It's a wonderfully peaceful place with nothing other than the landscape, the loch and the Cottar homesteads above.

To return to the coast, simply head north back along Loch Loyal and enjoy the road.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back