New satellite TV system

GMJ

Hi

We are in the process of changing our MH and the new (to us) one doesn't have a satellite TV system so we will need to buy one and have it fitted.

We are after an 85cm dish and want a fully automatic system.

Has anyone undergone a research process to look at what is available? If so is there any chance that I could share your findings?

Many thanks

Graham
smile.gif

There is a huge array of satellite systems on the market, the question you have to ask is what you want to watch and where, also bearing in mind of the footprint of Astra2 (Astra 28.2 - The Satellite used for British Broadcasting). Even with the biggest dish, you will still have the restrictions of Free Sat channels being beamed down from Astra 2, unless you have a Sky account and on old-school HD unit, where you would still loose the BBC/ITV stuff, but have some of your paid subscription channels to still view.
The reason I say that is that there are not many manufacturers are supporting Sky Q at the moment. The Oyster is converted in the UK, but I believe Germany are not supporting it. Max-view do offer a dedicated Sky Q system, but you would need to look at which version is best for you. As far as I'm aware, Alden do not have a dedicated Sky Q system either.
Prices really vary, but Max-View, Alden and Oyster seem to dominate the market place at the moment for automatic systems.
The thing is being that Data charges and roaming getting better and better, I can't imagine many people going with Satellite soon, as you can stream so much from Netflix and Amazon these days.

Thanks for this

I don't need anything compatible with Sky as we don't have it (nor will be getting it).

We want to have the ability to watch UK free to air TV on the near Continent that's all. Our current dish can take in Bordeaux in the south and Cologne in the east. I figure an 85cm dish will give us the furthest realistic reach.

Graham
smile.gif

Having the larger dish will give you more of a fighting chance, but I still would never put my head on a chopping block and make a claim/guarantee that it will. Typically we say draw a line ironically where you've suggested, then anything South of that will start to struggle on FTA/Free-sat.

Reactions: GMJ
That's no problem Nick. All we want is the option down that far. When we are further south/east then we don't bother/worry about it

ta

Graham
smile.gif

No worries Graham, you have some options available. Alden is a pretty good look, as I know off the bat that they offer a lifetime warranty on the mechanism on the AS4 Twin and can be transferred from van-to-van at the cost of some mounting plates (about £40.00).

Thanks for this

I don't need anything compatible with Sky as we don't have it (nor will be getting it).

We want to have the ability to watch UK free to air TV on the near Continent that's all. Our current dish can take in Bordeaux in the south and Cologne in the east. I figure an 85cm dish will give us the furthest realistic reach.

Graham
smile.gif
Having the larger dish will give you more of a fighting chance, but I still would never put my head on a chopping block and make a claim/guarantee that it will. Typically we say draw a line ironically where you've suggested, then anything South of that will start to struggle on FTA/Free-sat.
I have an 85CM Maxview dish (not automatic) and we can watch Freesat when parked at Mimizan Plage which is about 70 miles below Bordeaux, in Germany I went south and I was OK for Freesat channels in Bad Waldsee, the quality of your LNB and receiver play a part when the reception gets weak (I use 12v Linux receivers not freesat) but I found the best LNB for me was an Inverto Black Twin Ultra
www.systemsat.co.uk/twin-lnb/inverto-black-ultra-twin-02db-high-gain-low-noise-lnb.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImq7CtIXu4QIVR4fVCh3zcgq5EAQYAiABEgLElPD_BwE#fo_c=2971&fo_k=a13bdd13fb67930aa17deb73eb8f5098&fo_s=gplauk?infinity=ict2~net~gaw~ar~166213517900~kw~~mt~~cmp~BP%20%7C%20Shopping%20-%20All%20Products~ag~All%20Products

Hi

We are in the process of changing our MH and the new (to us) one doesn't have a satellite TV system so we will need to buy one and have it fitted.
Vanbitz sell and fit systems and have a great reputation, he has already given you good advice about the Alden so you could do a lot worse than having it fitted by them

Vanbitz sell and fit systems and have a great reputation, he has already given you good advice about the Alden so you could do a lot worse than having it fitted by them

Very true

Nick could you please let me have an email address where I can contact you? I have several things I could do with pricing on...

ta

Graham
smile.gif

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back