New Satnav?

colosborne

The sound on my Garmin, fluttered then died. I tried all the fixes on the web, Garmin say tuffers its out of guarantee. So after a trip down a lane in S France that degenerated into a narrow 25% slippery rock face and a half mile reverse, (smoking clutch) I'm looking at a replacement.

Noted the following on Ebay:

2019 BT+Rev Cam Motorhome Sat Nav,Camping Sites, 51 EU+UK Countries,Premium POIs

Cost only £95!

Cant see any branding. Has anyone had experience of these? (Seem too cheap)

You need to post a link to the one you are interested in, if it is based on a cheap Chinese Tablet it is too expensive, without a link it is difficult to advise
These are cheap ones on Amazon, look below this one for others very similar

I'd go for Google maps on an Android tablet, with internet from your mobile phone hotspot. Superior to Garmin in every respect. You can see the traffic jams, save your favourites, navigate to the nearest anything by name instead of postcode. I used to love Garmin, but they can't compete with Google maps

You need to post a link to the one you are interested in, if it is based on a cheap Chinese Tablet it is too expensive, without a link it is difficult to advise
These are cheap ones on Amazon, look below this one for others very similar
Just out of interest, the appearance of the mapping of the unit above echos that of Garmin. I don't know if the actual mapping itself is Garmins, but if someone doesn't like the style of the Garmin, they may well not like this?

I'd go for Google maps on an Android tablet, with internet from your mobile phone hotspot. Superior to Garmin in every respect. You can see the traffic jams, save your favourites, navigate to the nearest anything by name instead of postcode. I used to love Garmin, but they can't compete with Google maps
In a van, the sound from a tablet is very hard to hear. Really need something connected to the car radio speakers if you want to use audio prompts as well as visual mapping.

In my car, the head unit supports "Android Auto". This lets me use the Google Mapping on the phone through the in-dash head unit just like it was built-in to the head unit - so get a bigger screen to look at and any voice prompts are via the radio speaker. I find this very useful (y)

A standalone dedicated satnav for me everytime.
And a decent one at that.
I am used to TomTom and can add my own POIs and images
I guess the same goes for Garmin
Nozatech are cheap but I have never used one not sure about POI's but someone will be along to advise

In my car, the head unit supports "Android Auto". This lets me use the Google Mapping on the phone through the in-dash head unit just like it was built-in to the head unit - so get a bigger screen to look at and any voice prompts are via the radio speaker. I find this very useful
I am using Apple CarPlay which is similar to Android Auto, just depends on your phone. I needed a head unit for my new motorhome and I am very glad I got one that is compatible with both phone systems. I can control navigation, music/radio, phone calls texts all from the head unit, including voice control. Choice of navigation apps too and no need to clutter up the dash with extra equipment. Not sure there is a big future for stand alone navigators, things are moving on.

Just out of interest, the appearance of the mapping of the unit above echos that of Garmin. I don't know if the actual mapping itself is Garmins, but if someone doesn't like the style of the Garmin, they may well not like this?

In a van, the sound from a tablet is very hard to hear. Really need something connected to the car radio speakers if you want to use audio prompts as well as visual mapping.

In my car, the head unit supports "Android Auto". This lets me use the Google Mapping on the phone through the in-dash head unit just like it was built-in to the head unit - so get a bigger screen to look at and any voice prompts are via the radio speaker. I find this very useful (y)
Agreed, but you can Bluetooth your tablet to your van speakers, or even plug it directly into a Bluetooth speaker without using the Bluetooth. I got stuck in a jam outside Hamburg in July, Google kindly offered me alternative routes without me even asking. I accepted one through Hamburg itself, perfect!

The sound on my Garmin, fluttered then died. I tried all the fixes on the web, Garmin say tuffers its out of guarantee. So after a trip down a lane in S France that degenerated into a narrow 25% slippery rock face and a half mile reverse, (smoking clutch) I'm looking at a replacement.

Noted the following on Ebay:

2019 BT+Rev Cam Motorhome Sat Nav,Camping Sites, 51 EU+UK Countries,Premium POIs

Cost only £95!

Cant see any branding. Has anyone had experience of these? (Seem too cheap)
Perhaps this is the one

There is a lot more to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto than just a sound connection.

There is a lot more to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto than just a sound connection.
Indeed so. I use the Unit in my car to listen to audio books, plus use Google Music and Amazon Music as well as using the Mapping. All these functions are delivered by the Phone, but totally controlled by the Car Head Unit. It is essentially as if the Phone was inside the Head Unit :)

And on that topic, the radio in my van wouldn't reliably connect to the phone and after a 7 hour drive back home stuck with just the Radio, decided enough was enough, so I bought a new unit - but instead of just a standard unit but with Android Auto capability, I opted for a full-blown Android-based 'infotainment' system - so I have my Audible audio books, Amazon Music, Google Music as well as Camper Electrics monitoring all directly delivered by the new head unit without any phone connection (and native Saat Nav built in as well!). So I just need to connect the phone to get Hands-Free phone (and Android Auto to get the phone based apps, but don't really need them now if in the van)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back