New to this so , sorry the dummy questions

RCW

Free Member

Hi All ,

new to the forum, purchased a left hand drive Ford In March (late 90’s) in Europe. Chausson , and I’ve done a few trips to Switzerland, France, Bulgaria and am now in austria.

please forgive my inexperience;

a few questions if I may :) ??

1) Is it OK to leave your van plugged into the mains constantly when sitting. Does this affect the leisure battery for say plugged in for a few weeks at a time or when away say a month?

2) you will all probably roll over with this one in tears; both battery’s are almost identical , again it’s left hand drive, I’m trying to figure out which is the leisure battery and the car battery when popping the hood open?

3) Max weight / laden load is 3350kg. Ideal tyre pressure recommendations?
Fronts @ 72, rear @ 80 last measured.

thanks for your help all,

rob 👍818909DF-8A68-420F-85E2-6814504AFF3F.jpeg

1 - Fine with a smart charger.
2 - Starter battery will have the fattest cables.
3 - Your tyre pressures seem pretty high, pressures are normally based on individual axle load and tyre rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: RCW
I am given to understand that keeping the leisure battery on charge constantly when connected to 240 electric is not recommended as chargers in vans may or may not be sophisticated enough to vary the charge to the needs. At home I keep my van connected but on a plug in timer, so the van gets a one hour charge each night. This helps keep my starter battery fresh. By day the solar panel tops up the leisure battery but my set up does not have the two batteries connected. Given the price of a battery and the potential to change every 4/5 years, I don’t think what you are doing by keeping connected is a major issue.

Other posters with expertise will come along and give a more useful answer and may help with your second point on identifying the battery purpose.

As for tyre pressures, start from the axle weights on the converters plate, but best practice is to try and visit a weigh bridge when fully loaded for the expected type of trips you do and then consult a site such as tyresafe for relevant pressures.

Davy

Going by the picture, Your motorhome looks relatively old. Nothing at all wrong with that, but if the electrical system is still original, I would be very surprised if it has a charging setup that should be left plugged in to hookup for extended periods when the vehicle is not being used. Ok for short periods (and talking days rather than weeks or months).
You could fit a modern Smart Charger, or another option is as TeamRienza suggests - use a timer so the Hookup is only live periodically.

Post the details of the tyre size and rating (printed on the side wall of the tyre).

Also the front and rear axle maximum weights on the converters plate. This could be on the side of the bodywork or on the slam plate under the bonnet. If there is one on the driver or passenger door pillar, ignore that one as it was fitted in the factory when it was just a chassis cab unit.

Thanks to all the reply’s. It’s been that way the last two weeks/on, I was suppose to be away for only a week, that’s now closer to a month so I’ve asked the site manager to turn off the electric supply tomorrow once he’s back on site from the main charging station to my pitch/unit. Better safe than sorry . Especially given its age. (1998)

Got back late last night, fired up the heater. The anti jel worked great, thanks all for the tips. Alls working well.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back