New vehicle registration

Asgard

Free Member

Hi, I just registered to post this piece of information. We ordered a new Dethleffs Globebus T1 due to be delivered june/July finally came to dealership in August . We weren’t too bothered thinking leave it for Sept 1 reg until dealership frightened the life out of us with info on new taxation charges.
Cut long long story short I spoke numerous times to DVLA before I spoke with a staff member who said & I quote “ we have had no instruction of any change to charges for vehicles over £40k and anyway there isn’t any legislation” whew,!

There is a petition to Parliament to try & change this intention.

Finally our motor home was registered on 2nd sept with NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES.

I apologise if this info has already been posted as the reason I signed up to your site is because I read lots of worried posters on Aug 23 and didn’t see a post stating that all is ok AT PRESENT.

HAPPY TRAVELLING. ASGARD

You should always reg a car/van in jan as by just after xmas its classed as a year old,so you buy in dec and on jan the first dealers will say its a year old,this was the first thing i learned in the trade.

When I asked the dealer about registering my new motorhome with a 19 or 69 plate he said it made little or no difference with motorhomes. He said the most important factor was model year not age.

I think it is a combination of the reg date (from 1st Sept) AND the engine standard (only the very latest standard is affected by the new rules).

Useful real-world info from the OP there :)

I think it is a combination of the reg date (from 1st Sept) AND the engine standard (only the very latest standard is affected by the new rules).

Useful real-world info from the OP there :)
From the 1 September all new registrations should meet the new testing standard and have CO2 figures on the Certificate of Conformity. However there is a limited derogation that allows manufacturers to continue to register some vehicles that are already in the system that do not have CO2 figures. The Euro 6 standard has not changed but the method of testing vehicles has, this is to stop manufacturers like VW dreaming up ways of cheating the system. As far as I can see the tax changes are simply a consequence of the CO2 figures now becoming available. Previously most motorhomes were given special treatment because it was too difficult to fit them into the general VED system without CO2 figures. I believe some motorhomes such as VW Campers that came off the VW production lines with CO2 figures have been taxed at the higher car rate for the last year.

When I asked the dealer about registering my new motorhome with a 19 or 69 plate he said it made little or no difference with motorhomes. He said the most important factor was model year not age.

That of course, until you go back a few years later to sell / trade in and of course the story will be different.
The publications they use to determine value use year of registration for price.

That of course, until you go back a few years later to sell / trade in and of course the story will be different.
The publications they use to determine value use year of registration for price.
What publications do motorhome dealers use?

You should always reg a car/van in jan as by just after xmas its classed as a year old,so you buy in dec and on jan the first dealers will say its a year old,this was the first thing i learned in the trade.
Maybe n NI, but I don't think this would apply in GB.
If the average Joe was to have a choice between a car registered in Jan and one in March, they will chose the March one every time as that wil! Have the current years reg, but the one in Jan will have last year's reg.
Much less impact between mid-year and late-year reg, but the way Jan and Feb registrations work, they are maybe the worst times to register.

Glad to hear that you got a 69 plate without incurring higher VED.

I don't quite understand the contradictory statements that there isn't any legislation and a petition to stop it.

What would be interesting is to know whether or not your V5 has a CO2 figure listed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back