No Ignition

• Thread starter Deleted member 1118
  • Start date

Deleted member 1118

I have a 2001 Fiat Ducatto 2.8jtd Benimar Model AEREO 600 STC-L. When I turn the ignition switch nothing happens. I disconnected the cables from behind the switch, and they are ALL live. When I disconnected all batteries, engine and both leisure batteries, those wires are still live. Another anomaly is that while the batteries were disconnected, I put a tester between the live cable (now disconnected) and a cleaned part of a pipe behind the engine block, and it shows a current which I presume means there is a connection somewhere between the Live cable from the battery and the earth, again, even without the battery connected. Is there a separate power source that I don't know about? There is no connection between the battery and the control panel for the living area either. Does anybody have a clue what the problem could be? One other thing. I had used the vehicle to go and get some fuel on a Thursday, got back home and parked up for the night. Next day, no ignition, so it's something that has gone wrong either as soon as I turned the engine off on Thursday, or whilst just sitting there overnight. I'm thinking I'm going to have to find an expert to come and have a look.

Sounds like a bad earth from the chassis to the engine, easy to test, run a battery starter jump lead from the negative side of the battery to a earth point on the engine

If all batteries disconected no live wires should be found, unless you have solar and its connected and live.
Exactly. That's what is bothering me. I don't have solar, so how on earth can the wires behind the ignition switch be live? That is the big question.

Magic, does sound odd unless you have missed a connection it cannot have power anywhere.

Possible simple solution here here but this happened to me with my Fiat; it was the the key. The key wasn't signalling or something to the engine. Fiat wanted a fortune. My mechanic at the time fitted a new non computerised key thing into the computersed bit. ( I know the the thingy mejib into a whatsamacallit) and all was fine. Bits and new key from Southern or Coastal Motorhomes. Fraction of Fiats cost.

Last edited:
The Key cannot provide Electricity!!! so if all Power Sources r disconnected the only thing it could be is Magic

The Key cannot provide Electricity!!! so if all Power Sources r disconnected the only thing it could be is Magic
Unless of course there's some sort of chip in the drum thingy that the key fits into and has to match so it can be started. Suppose that's wizardry of a mechanic. Mine was all to do with the key and where the key went. It wasn't under the bonnet

First of all, thank you to all who replied. I have an update , or rather a correction. I had the wrong setting on the tester, which is why it was showing a live current even with the batteries disconnected. I know, (I'm an idiot), but I still have the problem of having no ignition. The tester, now switched to the correct setting, shows there is a current between an Earth point and what would be a live wire behind the ignition switch, if the battery was connected, and also between the positive battery cable (disconnected from the battery), to the engine block. The power for this test comes from a 9v battery inside the tester itself, (which is why I thought I was getting a reading when the vehicle battery was disconnected). It looks like I'll just have to find a professional electrician who will come and look at the problem. Trouble is, I live in a small village in the South Pennines, a long way from any cities where these people usually operate, so it's going to cost.

We had a problem with our 98 hymer B544 which just cut out on the A1. Turned out to be the immobilizer which disabled the engine management system. Very expensive fix.

Take a pos wire to the fuel solenoid, then a jump across the starter solenoid to spin here over and start, more time to sort when she is home, id say immobiliser fasult

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back