Numpty installing a Mmpt solar controller

Does a pure 12v compressor fridge do the same though? I could get mine to run on 240v by fitting a Mobilec 100W rectifier, the initial surge isn’t the charging of the rectifier is it?
Yes it does. This is the reason why you have to use pretty heavy cable when installing a Compressor fridge even though it only draws around 4A when running.
And the reason why so many people find their fridge won't start up due to low voltage even though their battery is perfectly fine because the installer looked at the specs and used cable which is fine for the running current and not the surge.

I agree with previous comments that the LOAD terminals can only provide a relatively low current. HOWEVER, one of the main advantages they offer is that power to them is automatically cut off if the battery voltage drops below a certain level, and this is important because you could inadvertently (maybe while out of the vehicle) discharge and cause permanent damage to your battery.

One way around this (as advised in the installation guide for my MPPT controller) is to use the LOAD terminals to power the coil of a relay, with the contacts connected to the battery (via a fuse) and your intended load.

I agree with previous comments that the LOAD terminals can only provide a relatively low current. HOWEVER, one of the main advantages they offer is that power to them is automatically cut off if the battery voltage drops below a certain level, and this is important because you could inadvertently (maybe while out of the vehicle) discharge and cause permanent damage to your battery.
My motorhome's system already has this low voltage cutoff. Well, the manual say it has. I've never seen it work in real life.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back