On board freezer

Trotter

Not sure which section to put this in . So it’s here, if a moderator wants to move it. Go for it. An answer is more important to me than which section it’s in.

Installing a Freezer.
The freezer box in the fridge is tiny and not especially reliable. Was thinking, as I’m going to upgrade my ctek, adding the Smartpass and another solar panel ( increase to 200w ), I’d add a portable freezer.
Question. Is my enjoying ice cream, the money saved buying multi packs of meat, worth the effort, or am I only creating problems for myself?
Thanks for reading this.

Ha ha Del, if I wanted to increase my freezer size I just turn up the dial and can easily turn the whole fridge in to a block of ice.

no help to you at all of course but I need to get these in where I can :)

I am fairly sure they had the portable freezers at Go Outdoors last time I was in and you get 15% discount with your CCC or CMC card which can create some bargains.

Charlie has a Costco card as well and there is one close to him if you speak to him nicely :)

edit: they probably don’t always have them in Costco but I think they were there last week

You will require a 500w smart inverter burning 3ah, solar ok but what about night time,i tested my new fridge and it will hold for 24hrs of two 90ah batts without solar.
So if running only that then you should be able to do ok apart from getting diabeties . :unsure:

You will require a 500w smart inverter burning 3ah, solar ok but what about night time,i tested my new fridge and it will hold for 24hrs of two 90ah batts without solar.
So if running only that then you should be able to do ok apart from getting diabeties . :unsure:
Am I mistaken Trev, I thought the ones I looked at were 12v? Mind you I can be easily confused :)

Not sure which section to put this in . So it’s here, if a moderator wants to move it. Go for it. An answer is more important to me than which section it’s in.

Installing a Freezer.
The freezer box in the fridge is tiny and not especially reliable. Was thinking, as I’m going to upgrade my ctek, adding the Smartpass and another solar panel ( increase to 200w ), I’d add a portable freezer.
Question. Is my enjoying ice cream, the money saved buying multi packs of meat, worth the effort, or am I only creating problems for myself?
Thanks for reading this.
Ice Cream good :)
I would not go for the multi-pack meats though :( if you go low on battery the freezer could turn off/warm up and your meat become buggy (too risky!). And any saving you get gets wiped out if you have to chuck it.
If you want a really good freezer, the Waeco CoolFreeze units work really well and can be set as EITHER a Fridge OR a Freezer and are very power-efficent (but they are not cheap, mind!)

Yes there are 12v ones at a high price,have you a link to them and spec please.
Sorry no but one brand in GoOutdoors was Dometic I think, I also think they had Thule but they may have just been cool boxes. I was only browsing round so wasn’t paying that much attention to things I wasn’t after myself but they may show on their web site

Just had a look on their web site and it doesn’t even come up with anything Dometic. Caz says that’s the only shop like that we went in that time though. Next time I get near one I will have a better look

Thanks to Nabs, I have 270ah of lead acid. 1500/3000 inverter. 100w, soon to be at least 200w of solar.

Ha ha Del, if I wanted to increase my freezer size I just turn up the dial and can easily turn the whole fridge in to a block of ice.

no help to you at all of course but I need to get these in where I can :)

I am fairly sure they had the portable freezers at Go Outdoors last time I was in and you get 15% discount with your CCC or CMC card which can create some bargains.

Charlie has a Costco card as well and there is one close to him if you speak to him nicely :)

edit: they probably don’t always have them in Costco but I think they were there last week

When your freezer becomes overfull, remember I’m always available for feeding 😬

If the freezer you settle on is any good it should not need to run overnight - particularly if you don't open it.
I don't bother but there are some folks who turn fridges off overnight to save gas.
I expect you want to operate in 30•C temps?
In which case I may be talking rubbish as usual.
My personal view is that if you have the space and power then a decent freezer capacity is always useful - certainly helps provide a nice sound accompaniment to G&T 😀

Is this too small?

Screenshot_20191017-204326_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
If the freezer you settle on is any good it should not need to run overnight - particularly if you don't open it.
I don't bother but there are some folks who turn fridges off overnight to save gas.
I expect you want to operate in 30•C temps?
In which case I may be talking rubbish as usual.
My personal view is that if you have the space and power then a decent freezer capacity is always useful - certainly helps provide a nice sound accompaniment to G&T 😀

Is this too small?

View attachment 50648
This was one I was looking at. Still not sure. I’ll be in deep thought. Oh! Decisions,decisions.

I know where I live as well.
Nice place to visit. Not sure I like living there.

Happily Nik doesn’t read this 😎

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back