Panel joints

Campervanannie

DCB7365C-C00B-429A-A852-478434F3F28B.jpeg
Not a very clear picture but the filler in the joints on my MH are breaking down,
Question 1. if I do it myself what do I use
Question 2 If I get it professionally done where do I take it has anyone got company recommendations.

Will watch this one Annie as I am not sure if you should leave movement (some kind of UV resistant sealant/mastic) or just seal it with something like TigerSeal/Sikaflex Architectural

I had a similar problem, Annie. When we're next together (Wellington, Stonehenge or Henley) I'll show you how I tackled my Moho joints. Some were renovated about 4 years ago, some about 2 years ago and some about a year ago. So far they all look OK.

Colin ???

Poor photo Anne.
This should not be a problem.as it look like the decorative sealing around the outside .main seal are further in .
It's rappido made to last.

There appears to be a gap appearing on the one edge which could allow water ingress

Is this a vertical panel ? Looks like its the panel on a coach built or low profile behind the front van door

Needs removing and resealing Shouldn’t be too difficult

I had a similar problem, Annie. When we're next together (Wellington, Stonehenge or Henley) I'll show you how I tackled my Moho joints. Some were renovated about 4 years ago, some about 2 years ago and some about a year ago. So far they all look OK.

Colin ???

Can you show me as well please Colin :)

The photo is good enough to show the problem. The sealant /filler is shrinking and needs replacement. First mask of the joint with two or three layers of masking tape to avoid damage to the bodywork either side. I would remove as much old sealant /filler as possible and deep enough for the replacement filler to get a good grip., if you are careful you can cut away the old filler with a craft knife or you may be able to just use a an old plastic peg or credit card or similar pice of plastic. The joint needs careful cleaning out to ensure no dust etc and I would refill it by injecting with Sikaflex 512 which is flexible and wont crack. To obtain a decent finish mask each side of the joint with clean masking tape so after you have used your mastic gun to inject the Sikalfex you can run a spatula or old credit card along the joint to give a smooth finish.It's not difficult but it is time consuming but you will do a better job than a dealer and you will know it has been dome thoroughly.

The photo is good enough to show the problem. The sealant /filler is shrinking and needs replacement. First mask of the joint with two or three layers of masking tape to avoid damage to the bodywork either side. I would remove as much old sealant /filler as possible and deep enough for the replacement filler to get a good grip., if you are careful you can cut away the old filler with a craft knife or you may be able to just use a an old plastic peg or credit card or similar pice of plastic. The joint needs careful cleaning out to ensure no dust etc and I would refill it by injecting with Sikaflex 512 which is flexible and wont crack. To obtain a decent finish mask each side of the joint with clean masking tape so after you have used your mastic gun to inject the Sikalfex you can run a spatula or old credit card along the joint to give a smooth finish.It's not difficult but it is time consuming but you will do a better job than a dealer and you will know it has been dome thoroughly.

That's pretty much what I did landsm. After removing the old sealer I abraded the surfaces that would take the new filler and also then cleaned/degreased the surfaces with alcohol (ethanol/methanol mix so not for drinking!). I used HB42 sealer (which is pretty much the same as Sikaflex 512 but I think sets more slowly). So far the refurbishment is looking OK.

Colin :):):)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back