PC Prices sure have fallen!

My first PC cost me £600 for a 12Mhz 80286 with 512MB of RAM, 40GB hard drive and Hercules mono monitor. Would have been about 1991! PC's not only get cheaper but faster.
Not 1991 with those specs!
I remember when I was at Dell in 1990. We built the PCs that we would use at our desk. The motherboard could only take 16MB of RAM (and that was a really high spec system - only got away with it as I picked the parts myself from the stores ;) ) I got a Hard Drive from a Friend of mine where I used to work. It was a semi-prototype ... 5.25" full height - 190MB (thats MB , not GB) and would have cost £190 trade.

Yours could have been a 512kB system (that was pretty standard for a '286) and a 40MB Hard Drive? that sounds about right for 1991

Which distro and how long did you try it,by the way this site runs on it.
You may recall it crashed on my PC a few months ago within days of installing. No reason, just crapped out.
It is not a bad OS but is a server OS.
but it is not a Desktop system for anyone who doesn't want to spend ages tinkering around. Been there, got a wardrobe full of T-shirts over the decades, can't be bothered to mess around any more.

You're right of course! Time has made my memory faulty and larger.
not the only one :)
I remember when I worked at NDR (Printer and Hard Drive Manufacturer) and in the late 80's they brought out what I think was the worlds first 3.5" Hard Drive which Amstrad used in their 512 model PC. It was a whopping 20MB which was amazing at the time but had 'stiction' issues and some days the drive wouldn't spin up until youi took hold of the computer and gave it a big sudden jerk to free it. Not a fix that was easy to sell to the end user :D

You may recall it crashed on my PC a few months ago within days of installing. No reason, just crapped out.
It is not a bad OS but is a server OS.
but it is not a Desktop system for anyone who doesn't want to spend ages tinkering around. Been there, got a wardrobe full of T-shirts over the decades, can't be bothered to mess around any more.
I had never any trouble with ubuntu,mint or lite,found my way round them in ten mins,just some names are strange at first,moved from win after xp which crashed all the time or hung.

That sounds like a bargain. I know a few people have spent a LOT of money on graphics cards as I play online with some gamers, but most of us prefer consoles for this reason. My Laptop is a silent fanless thing that's easy to carry around. This is where my money went!

That sounds like a bargain. I know a few people have spent a LOT of money on graphics cards as I play online with some gamers, but most of us prefer consoles for this reason. My Laptop is a silent fanless thing that's easy to carry around. This is where my money went!
I am playing around with the HP Tower I just got and consolidating my hard drives into it etc.
Fitted a 3-port USB PCI card I had knocking around - now got 15 (FIFTEEN!) USB Ports in it.
Now got 7 Hard Drives installed inside (came with 2, added 5 more), plus 1 external backup drive and a unit that I can just drop in 2 bare drives as I want.
Got some more RAM which arrived just a few minutes ago (going to take it up to 32GB)

Now ref Graphics Cards .... I did a benchmark test (used ptest) and the video was ok but nowhere near spectacular (the laptop video card ptest score is way way higher) so I thought I would drop in the PCIe video card I fitted to my mini-tower box quite a while back. Did another ptest run and it was worse by a fair way in the 3D test!
I would like to improve the video performance still as might do some video rendering and the like but don't want to spend a load on a card - any suggestions?

Stick a few graphics cards in for cuda cores? Depends on your software but I use 3DS Max on a desktop with a Ryzen 7 CPU and GeForce 1050Ti. At the time, about a year or so ago, they were both good value.

BTW that card is good for 1080p gaming, but struggles on 4K.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back