Planning department.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2946
  • Start date

Deleted member 2946

I'm at the planning stage and will be for several months. I worry what I will miss when going full time. I've read several threads on fulltime. I've seen the you tube videos. I've even got some books that i'm reading.

I know I am going to have to make changes to my life style. Do I fit a shower or bath. How big is big enough ? What can I afford ? All these and many more thoughts are going on at the moment. Time will tell and it won't matter how much I plan if life gets in the way.

What went wrong in your life that upset your lifestyle change ?

What did we miss? Surprisingly little. Friends and family, but you meet so many like minded people on the way, many who have become good buddies. If you move on regularly, you are busy planning your route, what you will see and do, seeking out dump and refill points and researching areas. I missed radio 4 and James sport, but even these have since been resolved.

Nothing really went wrong.
A break in in our first month. Rookie mistake, wild camped in a city; don’t do that now.
A medical issue cut short our trip last April and has given us a long stay in the U.K., but we still managed a number of short trips, bought and sold a house etc.
A few van issues, breakdowns and us puncturing holes in walls. Mostly easy to deal with. It is worth having a family or friend’s house you can bolt to if your van is in a garage ... we decamped to my parents got 16 days whilst our last van was with Fiat.
Good luck and enjoy.

I expect you have sorted all the usual (driving Licence Mail forwarding etc)
But what about you doctor..
What happens if you are ILL ?
Not trying to put you off but have a plan !
I have 2 or 3 bolt holes where my Doctor is !
Not needed to use then in 5 years but..
Of course you are most likely to have a problem when you are miles from any bolt hole !
Problems with the vehicle can usually be dealt with
We had 2 x fridge issues 1st in Italy 2nd in Germany In 2018 both resolved probably better than in Uk (I think)
You might care to take a spare gas regulator with you (That was 2 years ago)

PS... Keep a stock of medical items (Lemsip Plasters etc) especially Antibiotics (provided you know how and when to use them and for how long)

Main problem I faced was same as yourself... Fear of the fear. Then got some good advice from a wise lady... "Don't f**k about, just do it". I did & y'know what, the problems do come but usually one at a time & solving them is half the effort of worrying about them before they arise. Been 8 yrs fulltime now. At present stuck in snow at Clermont-Ferrand but hey ho it'll sort itself shortly. ??

Thank you for giving me plenty to think about. My list is evolving. I have wants and would likes.
I don't need a shower or bath. I read about people using local swimming baths and gyms for showering. That would not suit my style. Wetwipe bathing would do at a push but again is not my style. At my time of life a little luxury has been earnt.

What you will probably miss on going full-time is property price appreciation. If you sell a house to go travelling, when you decide to come back off the road (perhaps because of health issues) house prices may have become unaffordable.

Go for it and if you get to ill or old and dotering then the gov will give you a room in old folks home for free as you have no assets,win win situation.

Last edited:
Think carefully about thinking the local council care home will suffice.It will be at there choice/ standard; could be miles away for any relatives to visit. Might be free but you will pay in other respects.

Think carefully about thinking the local council care home will suffice.It will be at there choice/ standard; could be miles away for any relatives to visit. Might be free but you will pay in other respects.

A very valid point. Thank you. Seems like I have to use my back up plan and win the lottery.

At the end of my life then as far as I am concerned the light switch of life (as is allowed with our four legged friends) is the best way out, so my travels will end up in a location where euthanasia is legally allowed, either that or a bloody high cliff !!

All in favour of euthanasia. It completes the circle of life. Next time I might come back as a lightship pilot or maybe a single drop of rain.

( quote from The Highway man by The highway men with Johnny Cash and waylon Jennings )

Go for it and if you get to ill or old and dotering then the gov will give you a room in old folks home for free as you have no assets,win win situation.
It is a very good idea to have a little bit over £23,000 in savings at that point (£40,000 in Wales, not sure about Scotland) so you are able to choose the care home you prefer, pay your way in (possibly £1k per week), then the council will take over paying the fees when your savings go below the threshold figure.
They have the right to move you somewhere cheaper, but they never seem to.
If you have no assets, you have no choice and could end up in a really awful, smelly dump, with useless carers.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back