Plusnet

Chrisb1701

Anyone else unable to access the forum with plusnet ? I can access using a VPN or by switching off the Wi-fi and using 4g 🤔

1569395103260.png

I'm using it now, no problem

🤔 looks like I have some problem at home I cannot access either of the sites on any of my devices when going thru plusnet Wi-fi

I had this problem last weekend and reported it to Phil..
Something to do with Plus Net Domain Name Servers apparently a d Phil said he thought he could get it sorted.
Mine works now.
Try again - but don't use cache type in address?

No problems for me. However, although I'm with PN I have my own (Netgear) router, a separate (Ubiquiti) WiFi access point and don't use PN's proxy. Also, I run my DNS server forwards to PN and also to Google (link to documentation here). Might be an idea to add 8.8.8.8 as a secondary DNS?

Is there an English translation for that?
Yep! Find yourself someone who knows enough about Internet basics to help. You could always start at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/ and check you have PN's recommended settings (they change every so often).

That said, here's further explanation (but you might be even more confused after reading!) Although I'm with PlusNet (PN), I don't use the preconfigured router that PN provided. Instead, I have my own router that I've configured to connect to the Internet via PN but to get just about everything other than the basic connection from somewhere else. Domain Name Services (DNS) (which is the system all computers accessing the Internet use to translate names such as "motorhomer.com" to their Internet Protocol addresses such as 51.77.127.17) don't have to use your ISP's DNS servers. I have my own server which can act independently and/or forward DNS requests to PN's servers and also to Google's primary DNS server, which has IP address of 8.8.8.8. Most routers (and computers) can be configured to use whatever DNS servers you wish, and switching to something (like Google's public DNS servers) other than PN's default servers might resolve most of the problems described in this thread.

The OP writes,
I can access using a VPN or by switching off the Wi-fi and using 4g
Both of those methods either use the 4G carrier's DNS or the VPN provider's DNS configuration by default rather than PN's; which suggests that the problem is with DNS and switching to alternative servers should solve the issue.

Wot he said. But not if there’s an R in the month. No, I haven’t a clue either. TBH, it would cause me more concern if I did understand 🙄

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago in Hartlepool but got back home and it was OK.
A PITA when it happens but as I'm nearly always on phone I just use mobile data rather than broadband.

Wot he said. But not if there’s an R in the month. No, I haven’t a clue either. TBH, it would cause me more concern if I did understand 🙄
In addition to the above. I’m pretty sure he means. Switch it off and switch it on again 🤕. Don’t quote me.

In addition to the above. I’m pretty sure he means. Switch it off and switch it on again 🤕. Don’t quote me.
Sorry, but I just did! ... and doing a 'soft reset' is not what I meant. Although you can try switching it off and on, this won't help if the issue is with PN's DNS services. Also, be aware that doing a hard reset (i.e. by poking a paperclip into the tiny 'reset' hole) will return the router to factory settings and might seriously complicate things.

If what I've written here and previously in this thread seems like unintelligible gobbledygook, and you can't find a solution by searching through PN's broadband help pages, you should probably raise a support ticket as PN's support guys are in a better position to help than anyone on this forum. If you can't log onto the PN support portal, you'll probably need to phone their technical support (0800 432 0200). FWIW, I haven't needed to phone them for a few years. However, they were very helpful when I needed them.

HTH, Geoff

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back