Power Steering Fluid Dropped

Winks

Couple of months ago I discovered that our van had lost all its power steering fluid. It actually dropped the lot of it in a few minutes so I just stuck it back in its slot for the duration of this Covid job.

When we are ready to roll again will it be ok to drive the van the four miles or so to my usual workshop or is it a low loader job? Got a tow start today (another story) and it drives well enough just a couple of hundred metres out of the yard and back. I had an episode with the old Hymer when it lost the fluid from a broken pipe on the rack and that was ok doing couple of miles to the workshop.This is on a 2005 2.8JTD Ducato.

Cheers

H

Last edited:
I'm getting to think that way myself Gordon.

It absolutely pi$$ed out when I was last up in the yard and today it was bone dry but when I got the van started, with a tractor tow, it made no odd noises and drove well enough for a couple of hundred metres. Could possibly get it picked up via ADAC but would rather be self sufficient.Ready for the off now mate.

Cheers

H

I'm getting to think that way myself Gordon.

It absolutely pi$$ed out when I was last up in the yard and today it was bone dry but when I got the van started, with a tractor tow, it made no odd noises and drove well enough for a couple of hundred metres. Could possibly get it picked up via ADAC but would rather be self sufficient.Ready for the off now mate.

Cheers

H
🤞

Crank pulley collapsed on mine drove it for 5 mile with no pas nothing wrong other than arms like frgn Popeye when I got back 😀

If its losing fluid and not from pump then driving with no fluid will most likely kill the pump !! If not enough left in pump reservoir

Not had a chance to see where it is coming from but it seems to be from behind the engine and low down, which makes me think it might be actually on the rack.

We’ll see.

Cheers

H

Play safe and fill it up to drive to the workshop. 1 litre of p/steer fluid is a lot cheaper than a pump even if it does leak out on the way.

If its losing fluid and not from pump then driving with no fluid will most likely kill the pump !! If not enough left in pump reservoir

This. Don't let the pump run dry. Sometimes there is a belt that runs just the power steering. If there is, take it off. Else, make sure you stop and top it up regularly if you have to drive. The steering will work, just heavy, with the pump disconnected.

I lose a small amount on my iveco through the hoses,i have put in a bottle of stop leak which has lasted for 5 years with only a tiny drip when standing on driveway.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back