Preparing motorhome for winter

Davewend

Will be getting ready in the next couple of months to pack away for winter. Just wondered what peoples thought were about covering up or leaving to the elements. Motorhome will be parked on my drive on a slight gradient. Should I level it, put blocks & put in gear & take hand break off as you might do with a car.

No sign of winter yet in French foot hills of the alps!!😀

After recently paying more than x 3 times what I paid for my first house for a motorhome no way will mine be parked up over winter.
I actually spend as much time away over winter as spring / summer since taking up motoring 5 years ago. I have more or less everything in my motorhome that I have at home so rather than looking at the same 4 walls everyday I head out virtually every other week. Only been stranded once at Tyndrum. I never set out without full gas cylinders, full water tanks, satellite tv and as much food in motorhome as at home so being parked up for 2 days wasn’t a problem.

Whats the point of only being a fine weather M/Homer. You have everything you need so make the most of it.

Will be getting ready in the next couple of months to pack away for winter. Just wondered what peoples thought were about covering up or leaving to the elements. Motorhome will be parked on my drive on a slight gradient. Should I level it, put blocks & put in gear & take hand break off as you might do with a car.
I have never used a cover, despite one having come with the first motorhome that I bought; unless it is particularly well secured there is the risk of it abrading the paintwork, etc. Also, unless it has suitably positioned windows, solar panels will not be able to keep batteries topped up.

My parking location is level and I actually induce an incline using concrete slabs because the roof profile results in pooling of rainwater when level.

Ensure that water system is drained, leave taps open to avoid the risk of water in them freezing and cracking them, ensure no water left in pump or filter. I always put some windscreen washer additive into sink, basin and shower drains to prevent water in traps from freezing.

Whats the point of only being a fine weather M/Homer. You have everything you need so make the most of it.

In the winter I take the opportunity of getting away for 5 months and escape to fair weather. In the Spring I'm
back in the UK and it's fair weather (hopefully), I then hardly use my van. After 5 months continuous van living to
be honest I can't much be bothered packing up the van for a few days more than a couple of times. I think the
traffic conditions these days in the UK hardly help matters either, that and the destination often not having a view
or any amenity better than the one I left at home. Anyway that's M/homing Modus Operandi, with a not particularly
cunning plan.
If I couldn't get away for 5 months and had to spend the winters in the UK, I don't think I would use a M/Home
enough to justify owning it.
Each M/homer has their own agenda, mine definitely favours fair weather M/homing !

Investment required in them these says, even older ones, got to make it a no brainer!!!

Why not use it in the winter. Personally I find winter a really good time to motorhome with everywhere quiet and no crowds to contend with. I tend to wildcamp but if that’s not your scene there are sufficient sites open all year.
Will you stop trying to fill up the roads with Motorhomer during the winter months 😂😂

We use ours all winter too..

Oct - just back from Italy
Oct - Broadway and Cheltenham
Nov - Gower
Dec - Cardiff and Cheltenham
Jan - Mar - Spain

Graham
smile.gif

Mine is always ready to go,so no jacking up to take flat spots of wheels,flushing tanks and all the other nonsense that goes with buying something and not using it. :unsure:

Same here.

I will drain down the boiler when it starts to get nippy just in case of a heavy frost but it takes minutes to refill it for the next trip.

We clean it inside after every trip so its nice and clean ready for the next one. We try and get away at least every 3 weeks or so.

Graham
smile.gif

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back