Pyrenees in March

sydnsue

Has anyone any experience of the Pyrenees in March? We are thinking about doing it but I am not sure if the mountain passes will still be blocked. We will be zig-zagging through the mountains, not just crossing them into Spain. Looking at the various websites, it seems March is on the cusp of good or bad roads, even though they state it is the driest time of year.

Should be OK ... as long as you are ex SAS. :giggle:

Mountains are potentially dangerous at that time of year (all mountains). Even experienced people get caught out by sudden changes in weather. If you are outward bound to somewhere warmer, why not come back that way instead? Mountains are beautiful in good weather.

Last edited:
Has anyone any experience of the Pyrenees in March?

It all depends on how hard a winter they have had.

I used to live not far from them and sometimes the passes can be very difficult until the end of April and that was in a Land Rover Defender with very aggresive mud/snow tyres fitted so no chance in a MoHo most especially if it is FWD.

If you are headed that way, it might be best to carry some snow chains with you, they don't cost much and can be a real bonus.

I think if I were going to the Pyrenees in March, I would want winter tyres.
Anywhere that is mountainous can be changeable where weather is concerned.
I have been through a few years ago but it was late March and the roads were clear but up high there was still deep snow at the side of the road.

Has anyone any experience of the Pyrenees in March?
May is early enough for what you've planned many passes aren't opened until just in time for the tour de france shame to get down there and not see it at it's best.

Thanks everyone. Consensus of opinion seems to be don't go. I think we will delay it until later in the year and maybe do Scottish west coast in March. At least I know what Scotland is like. Of course, this leads me to another question. When is the latest to do the Pyrenees? Is September through October ok?

If you do go to any of the mountain regions in France during winter months, don't forget it is required by French law to have winter tyres fitted.

We have just returned from the pair of knees ,it was great in September first 2 weeks of november was wet znd cooler.

You will find many roads closed but they are very good with clearing them but its a place we went to in the first week of march was very cold and the roads were bad. If you are going take plenty of toilet paper with you because it is scary at times :D

You will find many roads closed but they are very good with clearing them but its a place we went to in the first week of march was very cold and the roads were bad. If you are going take plenty of toilet paper with you because it is scary at times :D

We slid all the way back down from Cauterets a couple of years back when it dropped to -6C overnight and was completely unexpected.

We was in Argelès-Gazost, the weather was blooming gorgeous and very very warm so after checking the forecast we popped up to Cauterets so the wife could have a thermal.

Thanks everyone. Consensus of opinion seems to be don't go. Of course, this leads me to another question. When is the latest to do the Pyrenees? Is September through October ok?
Sept an early Oct should be fine

Earliest Ive been is late April / Early May and it was fab. Some of the ski resorts were still open and you couldnt get up to the top of some of the higher passes and roads. The road that goes up to Col de Tentes above Gavarnie is actually a Ski slope until the snow finally goes well into May.

Not sure I would go in March unless I Was skiing. I did a comprehensive guide to the Pyrenees with some of the key places to visit and best aires and wild spots. You will find it here. Hank the Tanks download page

Has anyone any experience of the Pyrenees in March? We are thinking about doing it but I am not sure if the mountain passes will still be blocked. We will be zig-zagging through the mountains, not just crossing them into Spain. Looking at the various websites, it seems March is on the cusp of good or bad roads, even though they state it is the driest time of year.
Used to motorcycle there in the 1980s .... most passes snowed up into April.

Should be OK ... as long as you are ex SAS. :giggle:

Mountains are potentially dangerous at that time of year (all mountains). Even experienced people get caught out by sudden changes in weather. If you are outward bound to somewhere warmer, why not come back that way instead? Mountains are beautiful in good weather.
no but ive got the spee-does, could be flighing weather,best of luck, and stay jolly, ok pj

You might be able to do it ..But not much fun so WHY..
Mountains in cloud/mist no nice rests for tea/coffee/cake and photos
Also short days / long nights cols and more heating (gas/battery)

Would the Somport Tunnel be an option in March, or are the approach roads affected badly as well?

Would the Somport Tunnel be an option in March, or are the approach roads affected badly as well?
You,ll have to check road conditions at the time its rarely closed for long. But the thread was about holidaying in the area not passing thru

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back