• Hello, If you are looking for the YouTuber Special Camp - Gregg Virgoe Meetup please CLICK HERE

Rabies Injection

Lorraine

Rally Organiser

Messages
3,667
We are planning taking our dog Roxy to Europe in February for a few months so we need to be putting her through the old scheme. For this, she will need testing that the rabies injection causes the generation of anti-bodies. I have heard from some people that they have had the test done and it turned out their dogs that was taken abroad last year didn't have the anti-bodies and wasn’t protected last year and this is not as uncommon as you would think. Seems like the current system is cutting corners. Do you think I'am better to have her re injected with the rabies injection and the tested for the the anti-bodies. She has been injected 3 years 20th May
 

SimonM

Full Member

Messages
442
if you have the rabies jab done, then the Titre test should be done after 30 days and before 12 months. The earlier the better as there will be more antibodies present. Whether it “must” be done will depend on the deal no deal end result. I’m in France right now and returning 30th Oct.
 

Lorraine

Rally Organiser

Messages
3,667
if you have the rabies jab done, then the Titre test should be done after 30 days and before 12 months. The earlier the better as there will be more antibodies present. Whether it “must” be done will depend on the deal no deal end result. I’m in France right now and returning 30th Oct.
If ...... the titre test has to be done. will I have to get Roxy rein injected because hers is now over 2 years therefore it is after 12 months
 

silverweed

Full Member

Messages
100
She will need a booster before she reaches the 3 year period anyway so I would do another rabies jab first. If you have the test done now and she does not have enough antibodies then she will need another test after the next injection so may as well do it in order
 

Tezza33

Full Member

Messages
885
We have the same problem, our Roxxy is due in January so we have decided to have her jab now and the test done after, I think the titre test is worthwhile even if for some reason it isn't needed, we had hoped to get away before the deadline but it is becoming increasingly obvious that we have no chance so it might as well be done now
 

Clunegapyears

Full Member

Messages
583
Definitely get the rabies jab done first. Oscar did not have sufficient antibodies when first did a titer test even though he had sufficient antibodies to protect him against rabies. The bar for the antibodies for the titer test is very high.
We are also going for annual rabies injections, just as we don’t want to have difficult conversations at any borders. The rabies jab has to be kept up-to-date all the time for the titer test to be invalid.
Checked with two vets that the dogs would not suffer any harm by having annual jabs.
 

Lorraine

Rally Organiser

Messages
3,667
Definitely get the rabies jab done first. Oscar did not have sufficient antibodies when first did a titer test even though he had sufficient antibodies to protect him against rabies. The bar for the antibodies for the titer test is very high.
We are also going for annual rabies injections, just as we don’t want to have difficult conversations at any borders. The rabies jab has to be kept up-to-date all the time for the titer test to be invalid.
Checked with two vets that the dogs would not suffer any harm by having annual jabs.
Sorry I can't understand, when you say not having sufficient antibodies for titre test, but having enough antibodies to protect against rabbies. Do you mean we have to keep going for the injection against rabbies until we get it right (Roxy has a touch problem)
 

cronkle

Full Member

Messages
151
As I understand it the dog would have to have another injection if the titre test is a 'fail' and then another test a month later - until you do get it right. We've just had to go into all this as our dog is coming up to the first anniversary of his initial injection (passed titre test with flying colours). On his passport it noted that he needed his first booster after a year. However, the vaccine website now says that he needs one after three years. I would hope any alterations to a passport would be treated with suspicion at a border. This is the vaccine https://www.msd-animal-health.ph/products/131_118598/productdetails_131_118766.aspx . I'm never happy about medications of any sort being used unnecessarily so we will wait the three years and our vet has agreed to issue a new passport.
 

Ardachaidh

Full Member

Messages
114
A blood test will be required only if we leave the EU without a deal and the UK becomes an unlisted 3rd country. If we assume this will be the case (and we got ours tested a few weeks ago so she could travel beginning of December if there's no deal) then discuss with your vet whether she needs a booster. (according to DEFRA the antibody count can drop off rapidly after the primary vaccination, but can be kept higher with boosters) If she does need a booster then wait 30 days & do the test. If it's successful then the 3 months wait will take you to the beginning of February before you can travel. You'll also need an Animal Health Certificate from your vet to travel.

Ours was tested 10 months after her last booster and she passed easily. It takes a couple of weeks to get the results.
 

Lorraine

Rally Organiser

Messages
3,667
A blood test will be required only if we leave the EU without a deal and the UK becomes an unlisted 3rd country. If we assume this will be the case (and we got ours tested a few weeks ago so she could travel beginning of December if there's no deal) then discuss with your vet whether she needs a booster. (according to DEFRA the antibody count can drop off rapidly after the primary vaccination, but can be kept higher with boosters) If she does need a booster then wait 30 days & do the test. If it's successful then the 3 months wait will take you to the beginning of February before you can travel. You'll also need an Animal Health Certificate from your vet to travel.

Ours was tested 10 months after her last booster and she passed easily. It takes a couple of weeks to get the results.
Would it be advisable to wait until the verdict on the B****T if the tetre test is not required then travel without the blood test Roxy rabbies 3rd year doesn't run out until 20 May 2020 she can be very snappy if held down
 

Ardachaidh

Full Member

Messages
114
Would it be advisable to wait until the verdict on the B****T if the tetre test is not required then travel without the blood test Roxy rabbies 3rd year doesn't run out until 20 May 2020 she can be very snappy if held down
We should know on the 31st October at latest what is happening - deal, no deal, or extension. You would need to calculate from then, in the worst case scenario of no deal, as follows: ask vet if Roxy should get a booster, if yes, then wait 30 days for blood test, say, 2nd December. Then count 3 months from then (if test is passed) which would be 2nd March earliest to visit EU.

If we get a deal then we should be able to travel on the existing pet passport. If we get an extension to 31st Jan could you travel just before then on the pet passport? The only snag with that idea would be if you wanted to move between EU countries. Although there are no border checks between most EU countries there may be spot checks near borders, although I wouldn't think it all that likely you would be caught out.
 

El radge

Full Member

Messages
53
Never heard of the 3 year rabies injection requiring a boost ?
Probably unlikely things will change from current arrangement but , obviously , nobody wants to take a chance .
First dog got titre test (7 years ago) on advice of vet . Perhaps he was old school , perhaps he saw more profit .
Whatever happens it will almost certainly cost us more dosh .
 

Ardachaidh

Full Member

Messages
114
Never heard of the 3 year rabies injection requiring a boost ?
It's spelled out here: https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/rabies-vaccination-boosters-and-blood-tests

For your Pet Passport to remain valid, and also a successful titer test, the vaccination & boosters must be up to date. If they are then the dog doesn't need another test.

The blood sample must be taken at least 30 days after the last vaccination/booster. Our dog had the test when first vaccinated in 2012. We thought we were alright, but when we checked, the sample had been taken after only 23 days, which was ok at the time. It never occurred to anyone then that we might leave the EU!! So we had to get her re-tested, which was a worry until we got the results. Plan B, if she failed and we left without a deal or extension, was to travel to the EU before 31st October rather than in December.
 

El radge

Full Member

Messages
53
It's spelled out here: https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/rabies-vaccination-boosters-and-blood-tests

For your Pet Passport to remain valid, and also a successful titer test, the vaccination & boosters must be up to date. If they are then the dog doesn't need another test.

The blood sample must be taken at least 30 days after the last vaccination/booster. Our dog had the test when first vaccinated in 2012. We thought we were alright, but when we checked, the sample had been taken after only 23 days, which was ok at the time. It never occurred to anyone then that we might leave the EU!! So we had to get her re-tested, which was a worry until we got the results. Plan B, if she failed and we left without a deal or extension, was to travel to the EU before 31st October rather than in December.
Yes but think these rules are for third rated countries . They don't , at the moment , apply to EU countries
 

Lorraine

Rally Organiser

Messages
3,667
The hope is that we will become a listed Third Country and nothing will change about the movement of dogs in and out of the EU after B*****.
Do you mean no deal
 

Ardachaidh

Full Member

Messages
114
@El radge Sorry, but the rules re vaccination apply to EU countries. To get a pet passport, and for it to remain valid, the rabies vaccination must not have expired, hence the need for boosters.
 

Ardachaidh

Full Member

Messages
114
@ cronkle Yes, "hope" but don't bank on it. The precautionary principle suggests to allow for the "worst case". The Gov advice is that we are likely to be an unlisted 3rd country, with "No Deal".
 

Lorraine

Rally Organiser

Messages
3,667
@El radge Sorry, but the rules re vaccination apply to EU countries. To get a pet passport, and for it to remain valid, the rabies vaccination must not have expired, hence the need for boosters.
Is the booster every 3 years - I was led to believe when Roxy was injected it was for 3 years
 
Top