Rabies Injection

We have the dog prepared for the worst case - blood test and the expectation that we will have to have him health checked before we go abroad. I think the Gov advice is to prepare for the worst case and then see what happens. Relying on a 'maybe' with my luck(!) would likely lead to delayed or cancelled holidays next year.

@El radge Sorry, but the rules re vaccination apply to EU countries. To get a pet passport, and for it to remain valid, the rabies vaccination must not have expired, hence the need for boosters.
Not accor
@El radge Sorry, but the rules re vaccination apply to EU countries. To get a pet passport, and for it to remain valid, the rabies vaccination must not have expired, hence the need for boosters.
I thought you were referring to boosters as in before the 3 year rabies jag expires ?
Your link initially refers to bringing animals into the UK . Also lots of data about the rules regarding unlisted countries .
As things stand (!) the rules haven't changed . 3 year rabies jag valid for 3 years . Titre test not required .

Yes 3 years for Uk rules. But in EU they vaccinate annually. As I said we are going for annual rabies vaccinations. Just to conform with the rest of the EU. Ours is a personal reason as we are going out east this trip to Turkey, and further and we don’t want any difficult border crossings as we come back into the EU. Well so agree about not vaccinating unnecessarily, the vet assured me that there were no rests with going to annual vaccinations. Sorry if this clouded your understanding.

Today my veterinarian has just got back to me after a meeting that was held by the veterinarian board at the vets I use
If there is No Deal we might as well throw our original passports away - our pets will have to travel on a Health Certificate
Anybody who has a rabies injection with less then a year left, who are travelling after Br**it 31/10/19 with No Deal will require a new rabies injection, 30 days following blood test (titer) please bare in mind this could still fail so you need to repeat injection and blood test until it comes back clear, once confirmed waiting time is 3 months
Anybody whom is away now, will be honored bringing there pets back in the country after the br**it as long as it's not months
Rabies injection £35+
Blood Test (Titer) £150+
Health Certificate £10+ (Every time well go out of the UK)

Jeff & I was planning or first visit to Europe by going to France, Spain & Portugal late January early February 1920, but being realistic if Roxy was injected for rabies tomorrow then 30 days for blood test, if positive another 3 months making it approximately 18/2/2020

She asked me if I was on Facebook, I said no, because she plan's to update by posting all relevant details on thread

What my question is the rabies injection we have being giving our beloved pets are for 3 years, but the blood test doesn't often come back positive after 2 years for antibodies against rabies, so does that mean we have been taking our pets to the continent uncovered

Last edited:
I wouldn't throw the passport away yet as you will need it to get your pet into the UK.
I would never throw my passport away, even the veterinarian doesn't know what's what, Br**it or no Br**it

Sorry, just thought you might get your dog stranded abroad by the way your post was worded before it was edited, and yes, it would appear that some pets have been taken abroad when they had no imunity. That's why we were happy to have the blood test done twelve months ago. No point in paying for something that hasn't worked.

Sorry, just thought you might get your dog stranded abroad by the way your post was worded before it was edited, and yes, it would appear that some pets have been taken abroad when they had no imunity. That's why we were happy to have the blood test done twelve months ago. No point in paying for something that hasn't worked.
When you had you blood test carried out 12 months ago, how long had the rabies injection had been carried out?, say for instance it was one year in, and for curiosity you had another blood test a year later and it came back negative, but you have a year left on the rabies injection??????????

He had only just had his first injection at 16 weeks. We then went back a month later for the test and received the results two or three weeks later. As I understand it as long as boosters are given within the prescibed time no further blood test is needed. However, go over the time limit and you start from scratch.

He had only just had his first injection at 16 weeks. We then went back a month later for the test and received the results two or three weeks later. As I understand it as long as boosters are given within the prescibed time no further blood test is needed. However, go over the time limit and you start from scratch.
Is the booster the rabies injection and what is the required time

Yes, the booster is a rabies injection and the interval depends on the individual vaccine; our dog's is three yearly intervals.

@Lorraine The latest advice on the Gov website remains the same. It does not say anything about needing a "new rabies injection". It might be that if the last vaccination/booster was more than a year ago then it would be a good idea to get a booster before a blood test.

Vaccinations do not provide 100% immunity and the antibody count can decrease over time, hence the need for boosters. But some protection will still be provided up until the next booster is due.

The Benn Amendment is designed to prevent a "No Deal", in which case the deal which has just been agreed will either pass or if not then an extension to Jan 31st will have to be requested. (barring unforeseen interventions)

There is a website run by vets offering advice. There are lots of questions and answers on the site. You could always post a question there: https://vethelpdirect.com/vetblog/2018/11/06/brexit-pet-travel-urgent-update-pet-owners/

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back