Rallies/Meets - What is the format?

linkshouse

I’m thinking it might be nice to get to one of the rallies/meets and perhaps put some faces to names.

We’ve missed the boat so to speak on the Orkney Adventure, which is a shame as we live in Orkney. I just didn’t notice it at the time. But then again the engine had just suffered a catastrophic failure on Forrest a week or so earlier so I guess my mind was rather absorbed elsewhere. If it’s possible we may just drop by for a visit and say hi. We can always wild camping as there are loads of spots on Orkney Mainland.

I’m also following The Lairds thread on a possible meet in Scotland in March/April. I’m just not sure if Forrest will have earned our trust for a long run by then or not as the weather has stopped us really going out much since I finally got him fixed.

So, on to my actual question...

We are a bit nervous as to what the format is. Although we can blether with the best of em once we get going, neither of us are particularly gregarious and the idea of fancy dress and ging gang gully gully wotcha has us running for cover.

A bit of advice and reassurance from them as knows would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for rambling on a bit (I said I could once I got going 😅)

Thanks

Phill

I think you will be pleasently surprised on how laid back most of the meets are, nobody is forced to do anything that they don't want to do , if it is a fancy dress theme or anything else , you are more than welcome to attend and just come as you are and do your own thing , you will be supprised how many members do . Looking forward to meeting you and like I said don't worry just go for it

I think you will be pleasently surprised on how laid back most of the meets are, nobody is forced to do anything that they don't want to do , if it is a fancy dress theme or anything else , you are more than welcome to attend and just come as you are and do your own thing , you will be supprised how many members do . Looking forward to meeting you and like I said don't worry just go for it

+ one.
I'm planning to attend the Orkney rally, Phill, and hope to meet you there, even if you're just popping in - and I'm confident that the others attending will feel similarly. We were all in the position of attending our first get together at some time and I really can assure you that the members of this community are a friendly, inclusive, likeable bunch of reprobates.
So don't feel shy - you'll be made to feel very welcome indeed. Things are very informal. You'll experience absolutely no pressure to join in anything because frankly little is organised beforehand but generally made up as the fancy takes people.
So I'll hopefully see you next June!

Colin :):):)

as colin said we’ve all been there as newbies wondering what we should do ,people do sit in their vans wondering should we could we join in most things at meets are semi spontaneous or there will be a very loose plan? bbq this evening maybe sort of thing , a lot of people congregate because they all know one another from previous meets but never known anyone to be excluded so pull up a chair & join in as an orkney expert you will be very welcome

We have been motorhoming for more years than I care to think about, we have been members of wildcamping.co.uk for more years than I care to think about and we have been members of motorhomer.com since it’s inception BUT the only rallies we have ever attended until this year were those organised by Magbrin near Inverness. We went to these because she and her husband Angus are old friends from university days, and we are now into our seventies (Margaret and Angus are slightly younger of course)!
However this year we took the plunge and went to the Green Frog meet at Moffat a few weeks ago, despite having the same worries as you. We thoroughly enjoyed the whole event because there is no pressure to join in any of the organised events if you don’t want to. If you want to stay in the van and do your own thing (which we did Thursday night) - no problem. If you want to go out for a meal in a nice restaurant in town (which we did on Friday night) - no problem. If you want to go to the rally quiz night (which we did on Saturday night) - no problem. If you want to head off for an informal chat with the other attendees (which we frequently did) - no problem.
I can then guarantee that you will have as good time as we did, that you will meets loads of really nice, helpful and generous people and that you will want to attend future rallies. Go for it and have no worries!

Tony

Thank you for all your replies and re-assurances. I just need to cajole the wife now :rolleyes:
Just set off and suddenly stumble across one lol

You will find they are nothing to be apprehensive about at all. If you want to park up and do your own thing (as if on a campsite) you can. If you want to join in you can do that. 👍

Sorry if I’ve missed the point. Should there have been some text with this?

Phill
My mistake as I was asking your location but I forgot your on mercy s land😀 Orkney
have or do you know brandyman from Orkney
mervyn and Gladys ?

My mistake as I was asking your location but I forgot your on mercy s land😀 Orkney
have or do you know brandyman from Orkney
mervyn and Gladys ?
We’re on Westray, one of the northern isles.

No, I don’t know Mervyn and Gladys. I was trying to find him/them on the forum thinking that I might send them a PM but, although mentioned quite often, I couldn’t find him as a user.

We’re on Westray, one of the northern isles.

No, I don’t know Mervyn and Gladys. I was trying to find him/them on the forum thinking that I might send them a PM but, although mentioned quite often, I couldn’t find him as a user.
Everyone there knows merv and Gladys he does not go on the forum to often and he does not like computers etc
hecwas not well for a bit

Everyone there knows merv and Gladys he does not go on the forum to often and he does not like computers etc
hecwas not well for a bit
Ah, that explains it.

As I say we’re on Westray, plus we moved here from the Midland so we don’t really know that many people on Mainland. That said our daughter recently partnered up with a local lad so we suddenly have “relatives” coming out of our ears as just about everyone seem to be related in some way or another to Ian!

Well if you mention mervyn and Gladys they are legends and I really do mean legends even through his charity work etc a very very well liked and respected couple
i should add he is a character as well

One of the important aspects of our rallies is that everyone is invited to participate, but no one will be coerced or made feel guilty for not joining in. We all want members to be happy and enjoy their rallies. For some, a great rally is a bit of chat in the daytime and an evening been left alone with a book or the TV.

One of the important aspects of our rallies is that everyone is invited to participate, but no one will be coerced or made feel guilty for not joining in. We all want members to be happy and enjoy their rallies. For some, a great rally is a bit of chat in the daytime and an evening been left alone with a book or the TV.
Sounds good to me.

I love love love the meets and have made so many wonderful friends over the years who have looked after me and kept me sane since my husband passed away. I'm always a chatterbox and sometimes I'm up for a party or like to sit by the fire into the early hours. Other times I'll retreat to the van early with a good book or film. I leave the mornings for the early birds but will set the alarm if there's a cooked brekkie on offer :ROFLMAO: Sometimes I'll leave the site and wander off to a nearby town for a change of scene or a meal out. There are no expectations of you but there's a standing open invitation to everything going on... do as much or as little as makes you happy and comfortable. The thing is, don't wait for an announcement or invitation... if there's a firepit, just bring a chair and something to drink and join in. No-one expects you to bring stuff to share, so don't feel you have to cater for everyone! If there's a group of people chatting by one van, again just pull up a chair and join in. New people always feel as though everyone else has been friends for ages but that's most often not the case at all and is just a measure of how friendly and welcoming every meet will be.

I do hope you'll both come along to visit us on Orkney... you know there'll be a welcome :)

I love the meets,I can be gregarious one minute and craving solitude another and I have found both modes fine on the meets. My first meet a few years ago in Hereford was a sort of accidental attendance but I have not looked back since and do several a year. Everyone very easygoing, inclusive and tolerant.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back