Rear Door Frame.

Piglet

HI there,
I have a problem with our rear entry door on our Moho, the Door frame is coming loose at the bottom, our Moho is an Elddis Autostratus Ts se built in 1999 - 2000.

Any ideas on how easy this job would be to do I think the material for securing said frame is wood. Many thanks in advance for any advice John.

Ps l can send photos if needed.

I fear to fix that properly and permanently you'll be looking at a big job, I'd suggest damp has rotted the wood.
I'd suggest some in depth investigation is called for, I would think the problem will extent considerably further than just the door frame.

As a minimum you'll probably need to strip off either inner or outer skin to assess the extent of rot and then replace the structure as necessary, before making good the panel damage.

I fear to fix that properly and permanently you'll be looking at a big job, I'd suggest damp has rotted the wood.
I'd suggest some in depth investigation is called for, I would think the problem will extent considerably further than just the door frame.

As a minimum you'll probably need to strip off either inner or outer skin to assess the extent of rot and then replace the structure as necessary, before making good the panel damage.
Many thanks for your information we did have all the timber replaced about 6 years ago, but guess the guys who done the work never replaced the framework around the door?. Do you think it possible for me to remove just the frame and cut out the rotten wood and then replace with treated wood?. Thanks John.

Impossible to say for sure without actually seeing the extent of the problem, but of course most things are possible, whether or not it would be practical or financially worthwhile is another question.
Would it be possible to have some metalwork fabricated to fix to solid wood and support the door frame from that, ? rather than taking frame out completely.
Maybe post some pictures.

It makes you wonder if the guy who fixed it the first time, found the leak and fixed it or the leak has started again and the wood has just rotted away. I cannot believe he would have left wood round the door that was not sound. Treated wood is not the answer. If you have a water ingress problem it just takes longer to rot. I bought some new railway sleepers 8 X 4 I was told at the time they would last for years. Well they managed about 5 before they started going spongy. Should have bought old ones they are made of pitch pine and don't rot.

Only way you are going to find out is to remove some of the inner paneling and have a look what's behind it. I would suspect that you are going to find a lot of rotten wood. If the timber is rotten then it needs cutting back to good solid timber before you start adding new.

Quick search on the internet shows you are not the only one with water ingress problems.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back