Renogy upgrade

smither701

Free Member

Hi Everyone, I am new to this group but I can see there are lots of helpful members. I have just purchased a ITINEO FB650. I am in the middle of upgrading the service battery with 2 x 100ah lithium batteries. I am also fitting a 100w solar panel with a DC to DC charger which can control solar,all batteries and alternator. My question is what do I do with exist NORSELETTRONICA NE196_16RA. I would be great full of any advice. I also have a Renogy charger which I plan to install too.
Thank you
Andy Smith

Hi Everyone, I am new to this group but I can see there are lots of helpful members. I have just purchased a ITINEO FB650. I am in the middle of upgrading the service battery with 2 x 100ah lithium batteries. I am also fitting a 100w solar panel with a DC to DC charger which can control solar,all batteries and alternator. My question is what do I do with exist NORSELETTRONICA NE196_16RA. I would be great full of any advice. I also have a Renogy charger which I plan to install too.
Thank you
Andy Smith
Does the existing nordeletronnica charger have a lithium setting? If not then you'll need to replace it straight away with one that does, so maybe the Renogy?
If the Nord' doesn't have an in-built solar controller and an input for a solar panel then you'll need to connect your solar panel to the system via a solar controller. MPPT types are somewhat more efficient than PWM types but they cost more. You can connect the output of the controller into a dedicated solar controller input on the Nord' or directly to the batteries.
You'll really need to charge the lithiums from your engine alternator via a battery to battery charger with a lithium setting. When you do this you need to disable the inbuilt split charge relay in the Nord' which they call the 'shunt'. If you look through the Nord' manual hopefully there'll be a jumper on the PCB that you simply pull to do this, my Nord' was supposed to have one but actually didn't!

Thank you
Andy Smith
If the new DC to DC charger (B2B) is connected directly to the the leisure batteries you will need to disable the coupler relay (split charge relay) in the Nordelecttronica unit. If you leave the relay operating in parallel with the DC to DC charger it will cause a loop and a back feed of the higher voltage to the engine battery. This is not good for charging either the lithium leisure batteries or the lead acid engine battery.

If the new DC to DC charger (B2B) is connected directly to the the leisure batteries you will need to disable the coupler relay (split charge relay) in the Nordelecttronica unit. If you leave the relay operating in parallel with the DC to DC charger it will cause a loop and a back feed of the higher voltage to the engine battery. This is not good for charging either the lithium leisure batteries or the lead acid engine battery.
Thank for for your information as I think I have everything home now to start the upgrade works.

Does the existing nordeletronnica charger have a lithium setting? If not then you'll need to replace it straight away with one that does, so maybe the Renogy?
If the Nord' doesn't have an in-built solar controller and an input for a solar panel then you'll need to connect your solar panel to the system via a solar controller. MPPT types are somewhat more efficient than PWM types but they cost more. You can connect the output of the controller into a dedicated solar controller input on the Nord' or directly to the batteries.
You'll really need to charge the lithiums from your engine alternator via a battery to battery charger with a lithium setting. When you do this you need to disable the inbuilt split charge relay in the Nord' which they call the 'shunt'. If you look through the Nord' manual hopefully there'll be a jumper on the PCB that you simply pull to do this, my Nord' was supposed to have one but actually didn't!
Thank you for giving me the helpful information. I think I have everything home ready to start the upgrade to lithium batteries and a new solar panel too.

I am considering similar upgrade and also have the Norselettronica NE196 control unit in our Fiat Ducato MH. When completed I would really appreciate a step by step description of disconnections, connections and wire sizes etc and how it all went. Hope your upgrade goes really well for you.
Thanks >>>>Hugh

From the info on the net it would appear that the Nord' 196 doesn't have a jumper on the PCB to allow the SCR to be easily disabled. I personally removed the appropriate transistor that drives the SCR relay coil but cutting the correct PCB track would also work too.
If anyone wants help/advice re this you'll need to pull all the connectors off of it and completely remove the main PCB. Contact me with a decent quality close up image of both sides of the board.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back