Revamping my rear-end

jagmanx

As you see from this photo
48309 48310
The rear has 2 wings and the eagle-eyed will notice damage to the Drivers side.
I wish to remove them 100% thus 2 tasks
No 1 Easy get the LED rear-light cluster as in Rae's post

No2 tidy up the corners and if needed get some GRP or the like to replace the plastic trim across the whole rear which includes the number plate
The phot below shows the side trim skirting

Finally I think mounting the lights as showm below
Rplacing the 3 individul lights with the single st of 4 so having fog and reversing lights on both sides
The rear wings have been a constant nuisance and I have been thinking about a change for some time

Questions
1 Where can I get suitable skirting trim and corner "Joins"
Below shows where the lights may go...
Replacing the blue highlighted cluster and locating the new allin one cluster in the red rectangle by the GB sticker

Thoughts and ideas welcome

Have you checked what the panel looks like behind the corner light clusters?
I am wondering if it is cutout to a similar profile shape to the cluster, or if it is flat and present behind it? That would make a difference to the options of the kind of replacement corner trim you could make

Just been checking.
Mainly like the rest of the back wall.
Which is aluminium covered.
However the existing lights ave been screwed through to hold them and the plastic surround in place. !
A REALLY BAD DESIGN.
I will not remove and check now as we are in Germany and all the lights are working and secure.
The narrow vertical strip joining side and rear walls extends a long way down.
A

Yes.
The rear wall does, I think, extend the full width.
The wings had cups for each light which were/are screwed into the wall and the lights simply held on by rubber grommets or rings. Fibre glass has been used to re-inforce and the lights opened and extra scres used to fix them.
Water also does get into some of the lights...so dodgy mot situation.
So once all is removed a bit of tidying and filling. Then fix the aluminium plates spray then the lights.
Maybe some glass fibre to seal the corners.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back